Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Length of the first stage of labor and associated perinatal outcomes in nulliparous women.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1127-1135
- Maternal and neonatal outcomes in patients with a prolonged second stage of labor.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 102: 52-58
- Neonatal and maternal outcomes with prolonged second stage of labor.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 57-67
- Risk factors and outcome of failure to progress during the first stage of labor: a population-based study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2002; 81: 222-226
- Intravenous fluids for reducing the duration of labor in low risk nulliparous women.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 6: CD007715
- Rehydration strategies–balancing substrate, fluid, and electrolyte provision.Int J Sports Med. 1998; 19: S133-S135
- Different energy metabolite pattern between uterine smooth muscle and striated rectus muscle in term pregnant women.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1995; 62: 241-245
- Energy economy in the pregnant human uterus at term: studies on arteriovenous differences in metabolites of carbohydrate, fat and nucleotides.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1993; 51: 209-215
- A randomized controlled trial to study the effect of IV hydration on the duration of labor in nulliparous women.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012; 285: 343-346
- A randomized controlled trial of the effect of increased intravenous hydration on the course of labor in nulliparous women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 183: 1544-1548
- Increased intravenous fluid intake and the course of labor in nulliparous women.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2006; 93: 102-105
- A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study on the influence of carbohydrate solution intake during labor.BJOG. 2002; 109: 178-181
- An evaluation of isotonic “sport drinks” during labor.Anesth Analg. 2002; 94: 404-408
- A randomized, double-blinded, controlled trial comparing parenteral normal saline with and without dextrose on the course of labor in nulliparas.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 379.e1-379.e6
- A randomized controlled trial comparing parenteral normal saline with and without 5% dextrose on the course of labor in nulliparous women.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012; 286: 1425-1430
- Effects of maternal glucose infusion on fetal acid-base status in human pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 157: 866-873
- Intravenous glucose infusion in labor does not affect maternal and fetal acid-base balance.J Matern Fetal Med. 2000; 9: 204-208
- Continuous maternal glucose infusion during labor: effects on maternal and fetal glucose and lactate levels.Am J Perinatol. 1995; 12: 357-362
- Intrapartum maternal glucose infusion and fetal acid-base status.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007; 97: 187-189
- Intrapartum maternal glucose infusion reduces umbilical cord acidemia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 177: 765-769
- Effect of glucose on perinatal hypoxic-ischemic brain damage.Biol Neonate. 1992; 62: 215-224
This trial was financed by the Réseau de Formation en Recherche Périnatale du Québec, the Centre de Recherche du Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke, and the House Research Fund for Obstetrics and Gynecology Resident Research Project.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Paré J, Pasquier J-C, Lewin A, et al. Reduction of total labor length through the addition of parenteral dextrose solution in induction of labor in nulliparous: results of DEXTRONS prospective randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:508.e1-7.