Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- The global impact of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia.Semin Perinatol. 2009; 33: 130-137
- The CHIPS randomized controlled trial (control of hypertension in pregnancy study): is severe hypertension just an elevated blood pressure?.Hypertension. 2016; 68: 1153-1159
- Maternal mortality and morbidity in the United States: where are we now?.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2014; 23: 3-9
- Hypertension in pregnancy. Report of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists' Task Force on Hypertension in Pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 1122-1131
Council on Patient Safety in Women's Health Care. Severe hypertension in pregnancy. Available at: http://safehealthcareforeverywoman.org/patient-safety-bundles/severe-hypertension-in-pregnancy. Accessed Nov. 1, 2015.
Druzin ML, Shields LE, Peterson NL, Cape V. Preeclampsia toolkit: improving health care response to preeclampsia. California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative toolkit to Transform Maternity Care. Developed under contract #11-10006 with the California Department of Public Health; Maternal Child and Adolescent Health Division; published by the California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative, November 2013.
New York State Department of Health. Hypertensive disorders in pregnancy. Available at: https://www.health.ny.gov/professionals/protocols_and_guidelines/hypertensive_disorders/2013_hdp_executive_summary.pdf. Accessed May 30, 2013.
Florida Perinatal Collaborative. Hypertension in pregnancy HIP toolbox, 2016 (v2 2016). Available at: health.usf.edu/publichealth/chiles/fpqc/hip_toolbox. Accessed Dec. 24. 2016.
- Timely assessment and treatment of preeclampsia reduces maternal morbidity.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: S69
- Use of maternal early warning trigger tool reduces maternal morbidity.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 527.e1-527.e6
- Identification of severe maternal morbidity during delivery hospitalizations, United States, 1991-2003.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 133.e1-133.e8
- Reducing maternal mortality from preeclampsia and eclampsia in low-resource countries–what should work?.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2015; 94: 148-155
- Pregnancy-related mortality from preeclampsia and eclampsia.Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 97: 533-538
California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative. The California pregnancy-associated mortality review, report from 2002-2003 Maternal Death Reviews. 2011. Available at: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/data/statistics/Documents/MOCA-PAMR-MaternalDeathReview-2002-03.pdf. Accessed September 30, 2016.
- Stroke and severe preeclampsia and eclampsia: a paradigm shift focusing on systolic blood pressure.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 246-254
- Severe maternal morbidity in a large cohort of women with acute severe intrapartum hypertension.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 91.e1-91.e7
- Do women with pre-eclampsia, and their babies, benefit from magnesium sulphate? The Magpie Trial: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2002; 359: 1877-1890
- Emergent therapy for acute-onset, severe hypertension with preeclampsia or eclampsia. Committee opinion no. 514.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 1465-1468
- Does the presence of a condition-specific obstetric protocol lead to detectable improvements in pregnancy outcomes?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 86.e1-86.e6
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Shields LE, Wiesner S, Klein C, et al. Early standardized treatment of critical blood pressure elevations is associated with a reduction in eclampsia and severe maternal morbidity. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:415.e1-5.