Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Opiods for chronic noncancer pain: a meta-analysis of effectiveness and side effects.CMAJ. 2006; 174: 1589-1594
- Tolerability of acute postoperative pain management: nausea, vomiting, sedation, pruritus, and urinary retention.Br J Anaesth. 2005; 95: 584-591
- Rectal paracetamol has a significant morphine-sparing effect after hysterectomy.Br J Anaesth. 1999; 83: 253-256
- Does the opioid-sparing effect of rectal diclofenac following total abdominal hysterectomy benefit the patient?.Br J Anaesth. 2002; 88: 714-716
- A comparison of the analgesic effect of oxymorphone by rectal suppository and intramuscular injection in patients with postoperative pain.J Clin Pharmacol. 1977; 17: 276-291
- Postoperative analgesia and rectal drug administration.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2000; 44: 633-636
- Rectal drug administration: clinical pharmacokinetic considerations.Clin Pharmacokinet. 1982; 7: 285-311
- Pharmacokinetics of rectal drug administration: part I. general considerations and clinical applications of centrally acting drugs.Clin Pharmacokinet. 1991; 1: 11-26
- Posthysterectomy enterocele and vaginal vault prolapse.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1981; 140: 852-859
- Preventing posthysterectomy vaginal vault prolapse and enterocele during vaginal hysterectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 156: 1433-1440
- Atlas of gynecologic surgery.Saunders, Philadelphia1992: 124-130
- Randomized trial of preemptive local analgesia in vaginal surgery.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009; 20: 5-10
- Pain measurement tools and methods in clinical research in palliative care: recommendations of an expert working group of the European Association of Palliative Care.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2002; 23: 239-255
- Pain: a review of 3 commonly used pain rating scales.J Clin Nurs. 2005; 14: 798-804
- Patient and nurse assessment of quality of care in postoperative pain management.Quality Saf Health Care. 2002; 11: 327-334
- Does a perioperative belladonna and opium suppository improve postoperative pain following robotic assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy? Results of a single institution randomized study.Can J Urol. 2010; 17: 5377-5382
- Prophylactic belladonna suppositories on anesthetic recovery after robotic assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy.Can J Urol. 2014; 20: 6799-6804
- Comparison of intravenous ketorolac tromethamine and morphine sulfate in the treatment of postoperative pain.Pharmacotherapy. 1990; 10: 116S-121S
Supported by Mayo Clinic Arizona.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Butler K, Yi J, Wasson M, et al. Randomized controlled trial of postoperative belladonna and opium rectal suppositories in vaginal surgery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:491.e1-6.