Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. Infant mortality: topic information. Available from: https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/infant-mortality/topicinfo/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed July 28, 2016.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Infant mortality. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/MaternalInfantHealth/InfantMortality.htm. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- International comparisons of infant mortality and related factors: United States and Europe, 2010.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2014; 63: 1-6
Ohio Department of Health. Ohio infant mortality data: general findings. Available from: http://www.odh.ohio.gov/∼/media/ODH/ASSETS/Files/cfhs/Infant%20Mortality/2014%20Ohio%20Infant%20Mortality%20Report%20Final.pdf. Accessed July 28, 2016.
Ohio Collaborative to Prevent Infant Mortality. Ohio infant mortality reduction plan 2015-2020. Available from: https://www.odh.ohio.gov/∼/media/ODH/ASSETS/Files/cfhs/Infant%20Mortality/collaborative/2015/Infant%20Mortality%20Reduction%20Plan%202015-20.pdf. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- Relationship of trimester-specific smoking patterns and risk of preterm birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 109.e1-109.e6
- Association of reported trimester-specific smoking cessation with fetal growth restriction.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 125: 1452-1459
- Infant morbidity and mortality attributable to prenatal smoking in the US.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 39: 45-52
World Health Organization; Department of Reproductive Health and Research. Report of a WHO technical consultation on birth spacing. Available from: http://www.who.int/maternal_child_adolescent/documents/birth_spacing.pdf. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- Effect of the interpregnancy interval on perinatal outcomes in Latin America.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 359-366
- Relationship between interpregnancy interval and congenital anomalies.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 564.e1-564.e8
- Short interpregnancy interval: a risk factor for low birthweight.Am J Perinatol. 1987; 4: 50-54
- Interpregnancy interval. Association with birth weight, stillbirth, and neonatal death.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1978; 32: 124-130
- Influence of pregnancy spacing on outcome of pregnancy.Br Med J. 1973; 4: 753-756
- Effects of birth spacing on maternal health: a systematic review.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 297-308
- Maternal morbidity and mortality associated with interpregnancy interval: cross-sectional study.BMJ. 2000; 321: 1255-1259
- Birth spacing and risk of adverse perinatal outcomes a meta-analysis.JAMA. 2006; 295: 1809-1823
- A new definition of maternal depletion syndrome.Am J Public Health. 1992; 82: 691-694
- Interpregnancy intervals and the risk for infant mortality: a case control study of Arizona infants 2003-2007.Matern Child Health J. 2013; 17: 646-653
- Racial differences in the influence of interpregnancy interval on fetal growth.Matern Child Health J. 2016;
- Effect of modifiable risk factors on preterm birth: a population-based cohort.Matern Child Health J. 2016;
- Influence of interpregnancy interval on neonatal morbidity.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 386.e1-386.e9
National Center for Health Statistics. Guide to completing the facility worksheets for the certificate of live birth and report of fetal death (2003 revision). Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/GuidetoCompleteFacilityWks.pdf. Accessed July 28, 2016.
- Overadjustment bias and unnecessary adjustment in epidemiologic studies.Epidemiology. 2009; 20: 488-495
- Prevalence of low birth weight and preterm delivery in relation to the interval between pregnancies among white and black women.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 69-74
- Modern epidemiology.Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia (PA)2008
- Validation of birth certificate data. A study of women in New Jersey's HealthStart program.Ann Epidemiol. 2001; 11: 186-193
- Validation of obstetric estimate of gestational age on US birth certificates.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 335.e1-335.e5
Supported by the Perinatal Institute , Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center , and March of Dimes Prematurity Research Center Ohio Collaborative , Grant 22-FY14-470 .
The authors report no conflict of interest. This study includes data provided by the Ohio Department of Health, which should not be considered an endorsement of this study or its conclusions.
Cite this article as: McKinney D, House M, Chen A, et al. The influence of interpregnancy interval on infant mortality. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:316.e1-9.