Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Preventing the first cesarean delivery: summary of a Joint Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine, and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Workshop.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1181-1193
- National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Conference Statement Vaginal birth after cesarean: new insights.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 1279-1295
- ACOG Practice Bulletin no. 115: Vaginal birth after previous cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 450-463
- Trends in out-of-hospital births in the United States, 1990-2012.NCHS Data Brief. 2014; 144: 1-8
- Recent trends in out-of-hospital births in the United States.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2013; 58: 494-501
- Trends and characteristics of United States out-of-hospital births 2004-2014: new information on risk status and access to care.Birth. 2016; 43: 116-124
- Trends and characteristics of home vaginal birth after cesarean delivery in the United States and selected states.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 737-744
- Vaginal birth after cesarean: new insights on maternal and neonatal outcomes.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 1267-1278
- Fetal and neonatal morbidity and mortality following delivery after previous cesarean.Clin Perinatol. 2011; 38: 311-319
- Planned out-of-hospital birth and birth outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2642-2653
- Early and total neonatal mortality in relation to birth setting in the United States, 2006-2009.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 390.e1-390.e7
- Vaginal birth after cesarean in German out-of-hospital settings: maternal and neonatal outcomes of women with their second child.Birth. 2014; 41: 309-315
- Maternal and perinatal outcomes in women planning vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC) at home in England: secondary analysis of the Birthplace National Prospective Cohort study.BJOG. 2016; 123: 1123-1132
- A description of the management and outcomes of vaginal birth after cesarean birth in the homebirth setting.J midwifery womens health. 2005; 50: 386-391
- Results of the national study of vaginal birth after cesarean in birth centers.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 104: 933-942
- Planned home VBAC in the United States, 2004-2009: outcomes, maternity care practices, and implications for shared decision making.Birth. 2015; 42: 299-308
- An evaluation of the Kessner Adequacy of Prenatal Care Index and a proposed Adequacy of Prenatal Care Utilization Index.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 1414-1420
- Toward a more disproportionate epidemiology.Epidemiology. 2010; 21: 1-2
- On the origin of risk relativism.Epidemiology. 2010; 21: 3-9
- Basic methods for sensitivity analysis of biases.Int J Epidemiol. 1996; 25: 1107-1116
- Multiple-bias modelling for analysis of observational data.J R Stat Soc Ser A Stat Soc. 2005; 168: 267-306
- Policy statement on planned home birth: upholding the best interests of children and families.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 924-926
- Labor outcomes with increasing number of prior vaginal births after cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 285-291
- Practitioner and practice characteristics of certified professional midwives in the United States: results of the 2011 North American Registry of Midwives survey.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2015; 60: 534-545
Tilden EL, Snowden JM, Caughey AB, et al. Making out-of-hospital birth safer requires systems change. Available at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/863367_2. Accessed July 7, 2016.
- Perinatal mortality and morbidity up to 28 days after birth among 743 070 low-risk planned home and hospital births: a cohort study based on three merged national perinatal databases.BJOG. 2014; 122: 720-728
- Perinatal and maternal outcomes by planned place of birth for healthy women with low risk pregnancies: the birthplace in England national prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2011; 343: d7400
- Women’s reasons for, and experiences of, choosing a homebirth following a cesarean section.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015; 15: 1-12
- Trends and patterns of vaginal birth after cesarean availability in the United States.Semin Perinatol. 2010; 34: 237-243
- How do we deal with the legal risks?.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 55: 1014-1020
- Association between vaginal birth after cesarean delivery and primary cesarean delivery rates.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 1010-1017
- Diminishing availability of trial of labor after cesarean delivery in New Mexico hospitals.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 242-247
- Nonclinical factors affecting women’s access to trial of labor after cesarean delivery.Clin Perinatol. 2011; 38: 193-216
- Outcomes of planned home births in Washington State: 1989-1996.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 100: 253-259
- Development and validation of a national data registry for midwife-led births: the Midwives Alliance of North America Statistucs Project 2.0 dataset.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2014; 59: 8-16
- Births: final data for 2013.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2015; 64: 1-65
- Implications of the first cesarean: perinatal and future reproductive health and subsequent cesareans, placentation issues, uterine rupture risk, morbidity, and mortality.Semin Perinatol. 2012; 36: 315-323
- Maternal deaths in the 21st century: causes, prevention, and relationship to cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 1-36
- Promoting, protecting, and supporting normal birth: a look at the evidence.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2008; 37: 94-105
- Committee Opinion No. 669: Planned home birth.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: e26-e31
- Clinicians’ views of factors of importance for improving the rate of VBAC (vaginal birth after caesarean section): a qualitative study from countries with high VBAC rates.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015; 15: 196
Supported by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development and National Institutes of Health Office of Research on Women’s Health, Oregon BIRCWH Scholars in Women’s Health Research Across the Lifespan (K12HD043488-14; E.L.T); the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (grant number R00 HD079658-03 ; J.M.S.); and the OHSU Biostatistics & Design Program is partially supported by UL1TR000128 (OHSU CTSA; J.L. and J.W.).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Tilden EL, Cheyney M, Guise J-M, et al. Vaginal birth after cesarean: neonatal outcomes and United States birth setting. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:403.e1-8.