Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- CDC grand rounds: reducing the burden of HPV-associated cancer and disease.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 69-72
- The causal relation between human papillomavirus and cervical cancer.J Clin Pathol. 2002; 55: 244-265
- Quadrivalent vaccine against human papillomavirus to prevent high-grade cervical lesions.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 1915-1927
- Intrauterine device use, cervical infection with human papillomavirus, and risk of cervical cancer: a pooled analysis of 26 epidemiological studies.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 1023-1031
- Copper-T intrauterine device and levonorgestrel intrauterine system: biological bases of their mechanism of action.Contraception. 2007; 75: S16-S30
- Cervical cytokines and clearance of incident human papillomavirus infection: Hawaii HPV cohort study.Int J Cancer. 2013; 133: 1187-1196
- Link between chronic inflammation and human papillomavirus-induced carcinogenesis (review).Oncol Lett. 2015; 9: 1015-1026
- Regression of low-grade squamous intra-epithelial lesions in young women.Lancet. 2004; 364: 1678-1683
- Development of a novel liquid bead array human papillomavirus genotyping assay (PGMY-LX) and comparison with linear array for continuity in longitudinal cohort studies.J Clin Microbiol. 2015; 53: 1270-1276
- Observational studies analyzed like randomized experiments: an application to postmenopausal hormone therapy and coronary heart disease.Epidemiology. 2008; 19: 766-779
- Determinants of clearance of human papillomavirus infections in Colombian women with normal cytology: a population-based, 5-year follow-up study.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158: 486-494
- Persistence of high-risk human papillomavirus infection in a population-based cohort of Danish women.J Med Virol. 2010; 82: 616-623
- Chlamydia trachomatis infection and persistence of human papillomavirus.Int J Cancer. 2005; 116: 110-115
- Factors associated with type-specific persistence of high-risk human papillomavirus infection: a population-based study.Int J Cancer. 2016; 138: 361-368
- Comparison of human papillomavirus infection and cervical cytology in women using copper-containing and levonorgestrel-containing intrauterine devices.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 1101-1105
- Mechanism of action of intrauterine devices: biochemical changes.Contraception. 1987; 36: 11-22
Supported by the National Institutes of Health: National Cancer Institute , R37CA51323 .
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Averbach SH, Ma Y, Smith-McCune K, et al. The effect of intrauterine devices on acquisition and clearance of human papillomavirus. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:386.e1-5.