- A delay from diagnosis to treatment is associated with a decreased overall survival for patients with endometrial cancer.Front Oncol. 2016; 6: 31
- Influence of delay on survival in patients with breast cancer: a systematic review.Lancet. 1999; 353: 1119-1126
- Time to surgery and breast cancer survival in the United States.JAMA Oncol. 2016; 2: 330-339
- The influence of hospital volume and surgical treatment delay on long-term survival after cancer surgery.Ann Oncol. 2012; 23: 2731-2737
- Cystectomy delay more than 3 months from initial bladder cancer diagnosis results in decreased disease specific and overall survival.J Urol. 2006; 175: 1262-1267
- Do delays between diagnosis and surgery in resectable esophageal cancer affect survival? A study based on West Midlands cancer registration data.Br J Cancer. 2006; 95: 835-840
- Waiting time from initial urological consultation to nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma–does it affect survival?.J Urol. 2008; 179: 2152-2157
- Prognostic factors in stage IA-IIA cervical cancer patients treated surgically: does the waiting time to the operation affect survival?.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012; 285: 493-497
- Endometrial adenocarcinoma–lack of correlation between treatment delay and tumor stage.Gynecol Oncol. 1997; 67: 303-308
- The effect of diagnosis and treatment delay on prognostic factors and survival in endometrial carcinoma.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 173: 774-778
- Endometrial endometrioid carcinoma: a glimpse at the natural course.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 454-457
- Impact of wait times on survival for women with uterine cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 27-33
- Treatment delay in endometrial cancer. Reply to J. Menczer.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 2114
- Time interval between endometrial biopsy and surgical staging for type I endometrial cancer: association between tumor characteristics and survival outcome.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 424-433
- Time interval between endometrial biopsy and surgical staging for type I endometrial cancer: association between tumor characteristics and survival outcome.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 1497-1498
- Surgical wait time: a new health indicator in women with endometrial cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2016; 141: 511-515
American College of Surgeons. National Cancer Database. Available at: https://www.facs.org/quality programs/cancer/ncdb. Accessed Feb. 4, 2016.
- Uterine carcinosarcoma: a review of the literature.Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 137: 581-588
- Survival effect of para-aortic lymphadenectomy in endometrial cancer (SEPAL study): a retrospective cohort analysis.Lancet. 2010; 375: 1165-1172
- Endometrial cancer–revisiting the importance of pelvic and para aortic lymph nodes.Gynecol Oncol. 2007; 104: 222-231
- Management of women with uterine papillary serous cancer: a Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO) review.Gynecol Oncol. 2009; 115: 142-153
- Reasons for diagnostic delay in gynecological malignancies.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2011; 21: 967-974
- Geographic access to gynecologic cancer care in the United States.Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 138: 115-120
- Wait times for cancer surgery in the United States: trends and predictors of delays.Ann Surg. 2011; 253: 779-785
- Effects of surgical volumes on the survival of endometrial carcinoma.Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 139: 306-311
- Utilization of minimally invasive surgery in endometrial cancer care: a quality and cost disparity.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 91-100
- Influence of gynecologic oncologists on the survival of patients with endometrial cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 832-838
National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Uterine Neoplasms Version 1.2017. Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/uterine.pdf. Accessed December 30, 2016.
- Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death among endometrial cancer patients.Gynecol Oncol. 2012; 126: 176-179
- Retrospective analysis on timeframes of referral, diagnosis and treatment of patients with endometrial carcinomas in Dunedin Hospital, 2008-2011.N Z Med J. 2013; 126: 84-95
The authors report no conflicts of interest. The National Cancer Database (NCDB) is a joint project of the Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons and the American Cancer Society. The CoC NCDB and the hospitals participating in the CoC NCDB are the source of the deidentified data used herein; they have not verified and are not responsible for the statistical validity of the data analysis or the conclusions derived by the authors.
Cite this article as: Shalowitz DI, Epstein AJ, Buckingham L, et al. Survival implications of time to surgical treatment of endometrial cancers. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:268.e1-18.