Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Behavioral counseling and pharmacotherapy interventions for tobacco cessation in adults, including pregnant women: a review of reviews for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Evidence synthesis no. 134. AHRQ publication no. 14-05200-EF-1.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville (MD)2015
- Treating tobacco use and dependence: 2008 update. US Public Health Service Clinical Practice Guideline Executive Summary.Respir Care. 2008; 53: 1217-1222
- Interventions for promoting smoking cessation during pregnancy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; : CD001055
- Pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation: current advances and research topics.CNS Drugs. 2011; 25: 371-382
- Effectiveness of bupropion for smoking cessation during pregnancy.J Addict Dis. 2005; 24: 19-23
- Ensuring balanced distribution of prognostic factors in treatment outcome research.J Stud Alcohol Suppl. 1994; 12: 70-75
- Helping smokers make decisions: the enhancement of brief intervention for general medical practice.Patient Educ Couns. 1997; 31: 191-203
- Development of a short ‘readiness to change’ questionnaire for use in brief, opportunistic interventions among excessive drinkers.Br J Addict. 1992; 87: 743-754
- Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of a clinic-based counseling intervention tested in an ethnically diverse sample of pregnant smokers.Patient Educ Couns. 2006; 64: 342-349
- Is concern about post-cessation weight gain a barrier to smoking cessation among pregnant women?.Nicotine Tob Res. 2008; 10: 1159-1163
- Beliefs and attitudes about bupropion: implications for medication adherence and smoking cessation treatment.Psychol Addict Behav. 2009; 23: 373-379
- The Fagerström Test for Nicotine Dependence: a revision of the Fagerström Tolerance Questionnaire.Br J Addict. 1991; 86: 1119-1127
- Errors in using tobacco withdrawal scale.Tob Control. 1998; 7: 92-93
- Validation and utility of a self-report version of PRIME-MD: the PHQ primary care study. Primary Care Evaluation of Mental Disorders. Patient Health Questionnaire.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1737-1744
- Using expired air carbon monoxide to determine smoking status during pregnancy: preliminary identification of an appropriately sensitive and specific cut-point.Addict Behav. 2013; 38: 2547-2550
- Biochemical verification of smoking status in pregnant and recently postpartum women.Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2007; 15: 58-66
- Determinants of self-reported smoking and misclassification during pregnancy, and analysis of optimal cut-off points for urinary cotinine: a cross-sectional study.BMJ Open. 2013; 3
- Estimation of cutoff values of cotinine in urine and saliva for pregnant women in Poland.Biomed Res Int. 2013; 2013: 386784
Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry, bio-analytical method validation. Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, May 2011. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/GuidanceComplianceEnforcement/GuidanceforIndustry. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Determination of cotinine in the urine of pregnant patients enrolled in a clinical trial for the use of bupropion sustained release as an aid for smoking cessation.Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 2015; 146: e280
- Cotinine as a biomarker of tobacco exposure: development of a HPLC method and comparison of matrices.J Sep Sci. 2010; 33: 516-521
- Metabolism of bupropion by baboon hepatic and placental microsomes.Biochem Pharmacol. 2011; 82: 295-303
- Pharmacokinetics of bupropion and its pharmacologically active metabolites in pregnancy.Drug Metab Dispos. 2016; 44: 1832-1838
- Effects of nicotine patch or nasal spray on nicotine and cotinine concentrations in pregnant smokers.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2009; 22: 751-758
- A comparison of sustained-release bupropion and placebo for smoking cessation.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1195-1202
- Pharmacotherapies to enhance smoking cessation during pregnancy.Drug Alcohol Rev. 2003; 22: 191-202
- Effect on body weight of bupropion sustained-release in patients with major depression treated for 52 weeks.Clin Ther. 2002; 24: 662-672
- Bupropion for the treatment of tobacco dependence: guidelines for balancing risks and benefits.CNS Drugs. 2003; 17: 71-83
- Elevated risk of preeclampsia in pregnant women with depression: depression or antidepressants?.Am J Epidemiol. 2012; 175: 988-997
- Antidepressant use during pregnancy and the risk of pregnancy-induced hypertension.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012; 74: 362-369
- Antidepressant use and risk for preeclampsia.Epidemiology. 2013; 24: 682-691
- Pharmacological interventions for promoting smoking cessation during pregnancy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; : CD010078
The study was supported by National Institute on Drug Abuse grant RO1 DA030998 (to G.H. and T.N.).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Nanovskaya TN, Oncken C, Fokina VM, et al. Bupropion sustained release for pregnant smokers: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:420.e1-9.