Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Results of annual screening in phase I of the United Kingdom familial ovarian cancer screening study highlight the need for strict adherence to screening schedule.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 49-57
- Effect of screening on ovarian cancer mortality: the prostate, lung, colorectal and ovarian (PLCO) cancer screening randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2295-2303
- A randomized study of screening for ovarian cancer: a multicenter study in Japan.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2008; 18: 414-420
- Sensitivity and specificity of multimodal and ultrasound screening for ovarian cancer, and stage distribution of detected cancers: results of the prevalence screen of the UK collaborative trial of ovarian cancer screening (UKCTOCS).Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 327-340
- Risk algorithm using serial biomarker measurements doubles the number of screen-detected cancers compared with a single-threshold rule in the United Kingdom collaborative trial of ovarian cancer screening.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 2062-2071
- Differences in tumor type in low-stage versus high-stage ovarian carcinomas.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2010; 29: 203-211
- Clinicopathologic study of serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma with invasive carcinoma: is serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma a reliable feature for determining the organ of origin?.Hum Pathol. 2013; 44: 1534-1543
- The distal fallopian tube: a new model for pelvic serous carcinogenesis.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 19: 3-9
- Modeling high-grade serous ovarian carcinogenesis from the fallopian tube.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011; 108: 7547-7552
- Assessment of a new system for primary site assignment in high-grade serous carcinoma of the fallopian tube, ovary, and peritoneum.Histopathology. 2015; 67: 331-337
The Society of Gynecologic Oncology of Canada. GOC statement regarding salpingectomy and ovarian cancer prevention. 2011. Available at https://g-o-c.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/7GOCStmt_2011Sep_SalpOvCa_EN.pdf. Accessed November 8, 2016.
Society of Gynecologic Oncology. Salpingectomy for ovarian cancer. SGO Clinical practice statement. 2013. Available at https://www.sgo.org/clinical-practice/guidelines/sgo-clinical-practice-statement-salpingectomy-for-ovarian-cancer-prevention/. Accessed November 8, 2016.
- Salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention. Committee opinion no. 620.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 279-281
- Growth in salpingectomy rates in the United States since 2000.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 666-667
- National trends of adnexal surgeries at the time of hysterectomy for benign indication, United States, 1998-2011.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 713.e1-713.e13
- Nationwide Inpatient Sample redesign: final report.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Maryland2014
University of British Columbia Board of Governors. Research Involving Human Participants. Policy no. 89. 2012. Vancouver, BC, Canada.
- Opportunistic salpingectomy: uptake, risks, and complications of a regional initiative for ovarian cancer prevention.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 471.e1-471.e11
- Nationwide trends in the performance of inpatient hysterectomy in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 233-241
- Ovarian conservation at the time of hysterectomy and long-term health outcomes in the nurses' health study.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 113: 1027-1037
- Long-term mortality associated with oophorectomy compared with ovarian conservation in the nurses' health study.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 709-716
- Opportunistic salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention.Gynaecol Oncol Res Pract. 2015; 2: 1-9
- Physician opinions regarding elective bilateral salpingectomy with hysterectomy and for sterilization.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2013; 20: 517-521
- Effect of tubal sterilization technique on risk of serous epithelial ovarian and primary peritoneal carcinoma.Gynecol Oncol. 2014; 135: 423-427
- Tubal ligation and salpingectomy and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer and borderline ovarian tumors: a nationwide case-control study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2015; 94: 86-94
- Ovarian cancer risk after salpingectomy: a nationwide population-based study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015; 107: 1-6
- Bilateral salpingectomy can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer in the general population: a meta-analysis.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 55: 38-46
- Prophylactic salpingectomy in premenopausal low-risk women for ovarian cancer: primum non nocere.Gynecol Oncol. 2013; 129: 448-451
- Short-term effects of salpingectomy during laparoscopic hysterectomy on ovarian reserve: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Fertil Steril. 2013; 100: 1704-1708
This research was supported by donor funds from the Vancouver General Hospital and University of British Columbia Hospital Foundation . Dr Hanley is supported by the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute Capacity Development Award in Cancer Prevention (grant no. 702786 ). The funding sources had no involvement in the research or preparation of this article.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Hanley GE, McAlpine JN, Pearce CL, et al. The performance and safety of bilateral salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:270.e1-9.