Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
US Government Accountability Office. Prenatal drug use and newborn health: federal efforts need better planning and coordination. Available at: gao.gov/products/GAO-15-203. Accessed December 2, 2016.
- Opioid abuse and dependence during pregnancy: temporal trends and obstetrical outcomes.Anesthesiology. 2014; 121: 1158-1165
- Maternal opioid use during pregnancy and its impact on perinatal morbidity, mortality, and the cost of medical care in the United States.J Pregnancy. 2014; 2014: 906723
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome and associated health care expenditures: United States, 2000-2009.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1934-1940
- The effects of methadone dose regimen on neonatal abstinence syndrome.J Addict Med. 2015; 9: 105-110
Rewire News. Tennessee Fetal Assault Law (SB 1391). Available at: http://data.rhrealitycheck.org/law/tennessee-pregnancy-criminalization-law-sb-1391/. Accessed October 26, 2016.
- Detoxification from opiates during pregnancy: stressing the fetal brain.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 670.e1-670.e2
- Developmental outcomes of children born to methadone maintained women: a review of longitudinal studies.Neurobehav Toxicol Teratol. 1984; 6: 271-275
- Opioid abuse, dependence, and addiction in pregnancy. Committee opinion no. 524.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 1070-1076
- Intrauterine abstinence syndrome (IAS) during buprenorphine inductions and methadone tapers: can we assure the safety of the fetus?.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 25: 109-112
- Plasma catecholamines during an ultrarapid heroin detoxification.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2000; 914: 303-310
- Fetal and neonatal brain injury.3rd ed. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK2005: 287
- Fetal stress from methadone withdrawal.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1975; 122: 43-46
- Opiate detoxification in pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 92: 854-858
- The obstetrical and neonatal impact of maternal opioid detoxification in pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 375-376
- Meconium stained amniotic fluid in very low risk pregnancies at term gestation.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1998; 80: 169-173
- Detoxification from opiate drugs during pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 374.e1-374.e6
- Fetal programming of hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal function: prenatal stress and glucocorticoids.J Physiol. 2006; 572: 31-44
- Prenatal maternal stress: effects on pregnancy and the (unborn) child.Early Hum Dev. 2002; 70: 3-14
- Dysfunction of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis in opioid dependent subjects: effects of acute and protracted abstinence.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2008; 34: 760-768
- Entangled lives: implications of the developmental origins of health and disease hypothesis for bioarchaeology and the life course.Am J Phys Anthropol. 2015; 158: 530-540
- Fetal behavior.Neurobiol Aging. 2003; 24: S41-S47
- Increasing incidence of the neonatal abstinence syndrome in US neonatal ICUs.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 2118-2126
- Outcomes of infants born to mothers receiving methadone for pain management in pregnancy.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2004; 89: 33-36
- Pharmacologic evidence to support clinical decision making for peripartum methadone treatment.Psychopharmacology. 2013; 225: 441-451
Center for Substance Abuse Treatment. Medication-assisted treatment for opioid addiction in opioid treatment programs. Rockville (MD): Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US); 2005. (Treatment Improvement Protocol [TIP] Series, no. 43.) Chapter 13. Medication-assisted treatment for opioid addiction during pregnancy. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64148/. Accessed December 2, 2016.
- A comparison of the effects of single- and split-dose methadone administration on the fetus: an ultrasound evaluation.Int J Addict. 1991; 26: 213-218
- Maternal methadone dosing schedule and fetal neurobehavior.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2009; 22: 29-35
- The relationship between maternal use of heroin and methadone and infant birth weight.Addiction. 1997; 92: 1571-1579
- Maternal drug use and length of neonatal unit stay.Addiction. 2003; 98: 785-789
- Methadone dose and neonatal abstinence syndrome-systematic review and meta-analysis.Addiction. 2010; 105: 2071-2084
- The relationship between maternal methadone dose at delivery and neonatal outcome: methodological and design considerations.Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2013; 39: 110-115
- Growth and developmental outcome of infants with in-utero exposure to methadone vs buprenorphine.J Perinatol. 2015; 35: 656-659
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome after methadone or buprenorphine exposure.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2320-2331
- Methadone and buprenorphine for opioid dependence during pregnancy: a retrospective cohort study.J Addict Med. 2015; 9: 81-86
- Buprenorphine metabolites, buprenorphine-3-glucuronide and norbuprenorphine-3-glucuronide, are biologically active.Anesthesiology. 2011; 115: 1251-1260
- Urinary excretion of buprenorphine, norbuprenorphine, buprenorphine-glucuronide, and norbuprenorphine-glucuronide in pregnant women receiving buprenorphine treatment.Clin Chem. 2009; 55: 1177-1187
- Examination of the preclinical antinociceptive efficacy of buprenorphine and its designation as a full or partial agonist.J Ac Pain. 2007; 9: 145-152
- Trait anxiety in pregnant women predicts offspring birth outcomes.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2009; 23: 557-566
- Prenatal stress, glucocorticoids and the programming of adult disease.Front Behav Neurosci. 2009; 3: 19
- Variations in treatment of neonatal abstinence syndrome in US children's hospitals, 2004-2011.J Perinatol. 2014; 34: 867-872
- Should neonates sleep alone.Biol Psych. 2011; 70: 817-825
- Rooming-in to treat neonatal abstinence syndrome: improved family-centered care at lower cost.Pediatrics. 2016; 137: e1-e9
- Neonatal abstinence syndrome–postnatal ward versus neonatal unit management.Eur J Pediatr. 2010; 169: 95-98
- Influence of site differences between urban and rural American and Central European opioid-dependent women and neonatal outcome characteristics.Eur Addict Res. 2012; 18: 130-139
- A scoring system for evaluation and treatment of the neonatal abstinence syndrome: a clinical and research tool.in: Morselli P.L. Garattini S. Sereni F. Basic and therapeutic aspects of perinatal pharmacology. Raven Press, New York1975: 139-153
D’Apolito K, Finnegan L. Assessing signs and symptoms of neonatal abstinence using the Finnegan scoring tool, an interobserver reliability program. Available at: http://www.neoadvances.com. Accessed December 2, 2016.
Finnegan L. Substance abuse in Canada: licit and illicit drug use during pregnancy. Maternal, neonatal and early childhood consequences. Ottawa, Ontario. Canadian Center on Substance Abuse. Available at: http://www.ccsa.ca/Resource%20Library//CCSA-Drug-Use-during-Pregnancy-Report-2013-en.pdf. Accessed December 2, 2016.
- Drug withdrawal in the neonate.in: Carter B. Gardner S. Handbook of neonatal intensive care. 8th ed. Mosby-Year Book Inc, St. Louis, MO2015
The authors report no conflict of interest.