Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Osterman M, Martin J. Recent declines in induction of labor by gestational age. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db155.pdf. Accessed January 5, 2016.
- Pelvic scoring for elective induction.Obstet Gynecol. 1964; 24: 266-268
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 107: Induction of labor.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 386-397
- Labor induction: a review of current methods.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2011; 38 (ix): 215-225
- Disruption of prior uterine incision following misoprostol for labor induction in women with previous cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 91: 828-830
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 115: Vaginal birth after previous cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 450-463
- The timing of adverse events with Foley catheter preinduction cervical ripening; implications for outpatient use.Am J Perinatol. 2014; 31: 781-786
- Balloon dilators for labor induction: a historical review.J Med Ethics Hist Med. 2013; 6: 10
- The unfavourable cervix and induction of labour using a cervical balloon.J Obstet Gynaecol Br Commonw. 1967; 74: 44-48
- Foley catheter compared with the controlled-release dinoprostone insert: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 1280-1287
- Foley catheter versus vaginal prostaglandin E2 gel for induction of labour at term (PROBAAT trial): an open-label, randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2011; 378: 2095-2103
- Is transcervical Foley catheter actually slower than prostaglandins in ripening the cervix? A randomized study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 338.e1-338.e7
- Outpatient Foley catheter versus inpatient prostaglandin E2 gel for induction of labour: a randomised trial.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2013; 13: 25
- A prospective, randomized comparison of Foley catheter insertion versus intracervical prostaglandin E2 gel for preinduction cervical ripening.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 180: 55-60
- A randomized comparison of transcervical Foley catheter to intravaginal misoprostol for preinduction cervical ripening.Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 97: 603-607
- Foley catheter versus intra-vaginal misoprostol for induction of labor in post-term gestations.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012; 286: 303-307
- Induction of labor with three different techniques at 41 weeks of gestation or spontaneous follow-up until 42 weeks in women with definitely unfavorable cervical scores.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005; 120: 164-169
- Induction of labour at term with oral misoprostol versus a Foley catheter (PROBAAT-II): a multicentre randomised controlled non-inferiority trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1619-1628
- Progress of labor in women induced with misoprostol versus the Foley catheter.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 209: 237.e1-237.e7
- Foley catheter under traction versus extra-amniotic prostaglandin gel in pre-treatment of unripe cervix: a randomised controlled trial.Cent Afr J Med. 1988; 34: 98-102
- Comparison of 30-mL and 80-mL Foley catheter balloons and oxytocin for preinduction cervical ripening.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2009; 105: 174-175
- A randomized controlled trial comparing vaginal misoprostol versus Foley catheter plus oxytocin for labor induction.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2010; 89: 1045-1052
- Cervical ripening with foley balloon plus fixed versus incremental low-dose oxytocin: a randomized controlled trial.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 25: 1006-1010
- Transcervical Foley catheter with and without oxytocin for cervical ripening: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 1320-1326
- Combination of Foley bulb and vaginal misoprostol compared with vaginal misoprostol alone for cervical ripening and labor induction: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 247-252
- Concurrent use of Foley catheter and misoprostol for induction of labor: a randomized clinical trial of efficacy and safety.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2014; 40: 1527-1533
- Cervical ripening: a randomized comparison between intravaginal misoprostol and an intracervical balloon catheter combined with intravaginal dinoprostone.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 178: 1333-1340
- Effect of the Foley catheter and synchronous low dose misoprostol administration on cervical ripening: a randomised controlled trial.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013; 33: 572-577
- A randomized controlled trial of foley catheter, extra-amniotic saline infusion and prostaglandin e2 suppository for labor induction.J Family Reprod Health. 2013; 7: 49-55
- Complications of trans-cervical Foley catheter for labor induction among 1,083 women.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2010; 281: 473-477
- Transcervical Foley catheter with and without extraamniotic saline infusion for labor induction: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 110: 558-565
- Induction of labor using a foley balloon, with and without extra-amniotic saline infusion.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 107: 234-239
- A randomized trial comparing a 30-mL and an 80-mL Foley catheter balloon for preinduction cervical ripening.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 191: 1632-1636
- Labor induction with a Foley balloon inflated to 30 mL compared with 60 mL: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 1239-1245
- Foley catheter placement for induction of labor with or without stylette: a randomized clinical trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214 (397.e1-397)
- Do mechanical methods of cervical ripening increase infectious morbidity? A systematic review.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 177-188
- Inner thigh taping vs traction for cervical ripening with a Foley catheter: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 209: 272.e1-272.e7
- Nonparametric statistics.in: Principles and procedures of statistics: a biomedical approach. McGraw-Hill, New York1980: 540-542
- Interim analysis: the alpha spending function approach.Stat Med. 1994; 13: 1341-1352
- Sample size slippages in randomised trials: exclusions and the lost and wayward.Lancet. 2002; 359: 781-785
- Methods of cervical ripening and labor induction: mechanical.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 57: 369-376
- F prostaglandin levels in amniotic fluid during balloon-induced cervical softening and labor at term.Prostaglandins. 1982; 23: 247-256
- Extra-amniotic balloon for preinduction cervical ripening: a randomized comparison of weighted traction versus unweighted.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 25: 581-586
- Use of intracervical balloons and chorioamnionitis in term premature rupture of membranes.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016; 29: 967-971
FOLCROM Trial: Foley Catheter in Rupture of Membranes. Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01973036. Accessed January 24, 2016.
- Mechanical methods for induction of labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 3: CD001233
- Generation of allocation sequences in randomised trials: chance, not choice.Lancet. 2002; 359: 515-519
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Fruhman G, Gavard JA, Amon E, et al. Tension compared to no tension on a Foley transcervical catheter for cervical ripening: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:67.e1-9.
Current affiliation of Dr Fruhman is Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Staten Island University Hospital, Staten Island, NY.