Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- The evolution of menstruation: a new model for genetic assimilation.Bioessays. 2012; 34: 26-35
- Spontaneous decidual reactions and menstruation in the black mastiff bat, Molossus ater.Am J Anat. 1991; 191: 1-22
- A role for menstruation in preconditioning the uterus for successful pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 615.e1-615.e6
O'Neil D. Old World monkeys, primates. Available at: http://anthro.palomar.edu/primate/prim_6.htm. 2014. Accessed September 21, 2016.
The IUCN red list of threatened species. The International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. Available at: www.iucnredlist.org. 2015. Accessed September 21, 2016.
- Vasculogenesis and angiogenesis in the endometrium during menstrual cycle and implantation.Acta Histochem. 2010; 112: 203-214
- Cyclic decidualization of the human endometrium in reproductive health and failure.Endocr Rev. 2014; 35: 851-905
- The adaptive significance of menstruation: the meaning of menstruation in the elimination of abnormal embryos.Hum Reprod. 1994; 9: 1204-1207
- Regulation of trophoblast invasion: the role of matrix metalloproteinases.Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 5: e137-e143
- Maternal and fetal factors and placentation: implications for pre-eclampsia.Pregnancy Hypertens. 2014; 4: 244
- The pathology of placenta accreta, a worldwide epidemic.J Clin Pathol. 2008; 61: 1243-1246
- Induction of overt menstruation in intact mice.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e32922
- Mimicking the events of menstruation in the murine uterus.Biol Reprod. 2003; 69: 1273-1280
- Managing a colony of spiny mice (Acomys cahirinus) for perinatal research.ANZCCART News. 2007; 20: 4-11
- Mouse estrous cycle identification tool and images.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e35538
- The estrous cycle of the spiny mouse (Acomys cahirinus).J Reprod Fertil. 1981; 61: 453-459
- Junqueira's basic histology: text and atlas. McGraw-Hill Medical, New York2010
- Defective soil for a fertile seed? Altered endometrial development is detrimental to pregnancy success.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e53098
- Granulated decidual cells in the mouse deciduoma: a putative source of decidual prolactin in mice.Cells Tissues Organs. 2001; 168: 252-263
- Effects of high-dose caffeine on the cerebrum of the immaute ovine brain.Anatomy and Developmental Biology. Monash University, Australia2014: 88-90
- The physiology of decidual prolactin and other decidual protein hormones.Trends Endocrinol Metab. 1992; 3: 91-95
- Tissue injury and repair in the female human reproductive tract.Reproduction. 2003; 125: 301-311
- Sexually dimorphic placental development throughout gestation in the spiny mouse (Acomys cahirinus).Placenta. 2013; 34: 119-126
- The phylogenetic position of “Acomyinae” (Rodentia, Mammalia) as sister group of a Murinae + Gerbillinae clade: evidence from the nuclear ribonuclease gene.Mol Phylogenet Evol. 1999; 13: 181-192
- Phylogeny of muroid rodents: relationships within and among major lineages as determined by IRBP gene sequences.Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2004; 31: 256-276
- The Cairo spiny mouse Acomys cahirinus shows a strong affinity to the Mongolian gerbil Meriones unguiculatus.Mol Biol Evol. 1996; 13: 3-6
- Multigene phylogeny of the Old World mice, Murinae, reveals distinct geographic lineages and the declining utility of mitochondrial genes compared to nuclear genes.Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2005; 37: 370-388
- Ontogeny of the adrenal gland in the spiny mouse, with particular reference to production of the steroids cortisol and dehydroepiandrosterone.Endocrinology. 2013; 154: 1190-1201
- Hormones in perinatal rat and spiny mouse: relation to altricial and precocial timing of birth.Am J Physiol. 1986; 251: E78-E85
- Early menstrual characteristics associated with subsequent diagnosis of endometriosis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: 534.e1-534.e6
H.D. is a National Health and Medical Research Council Career Development Fellow. S.E. is funded by a career development fellowship from the Cerebral Palsy Alliance to H.D. Partial funding for this project was obtained from National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia to H.D. and a grant from the Victorian Government Infrastructure Support Fund to the Hudson Institute of Medical Research.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Bellofiore N, Ellery SJ, Mamrot J, et al. First evidence of a menstruating rodent: the spiny mouse (Acomys cahirinus). Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:40.e1-11.