Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
World Health Organization. Guideline on when to start antiretroviral therapy and on pre-exposure prophylaxis for HIV. Geneva 2015. Available at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/186275/1/9789241509565_eng.pdf?ua=1. Accessed February 1, 2016.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pre-exposure prophylaxis for the prevention of HIV infection in the United States—2014: a clinical practice guideline. Atlanta, GA 2014. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/prepguidelines2014.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2016.
- Vital signs: estimated percentages and numbers of adults with indications for preexposure prophylaxis to prevent HIV acquisition - United States, 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 1291-1295
- Incident HIV during pregnancy and postpartum and risk of mother-to-child HIV transmission: a systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS Me. 2014; 11: e1001608
- The effect of progesterone levels and pregnancy on HIV-1 coreceptor expression.Reprod Sci. 2009; 16: 20-31
- Acquiring human immunodeficiency virus during pregnancy and mother-to-child transmission in New York: 2002-2006.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 1247-1255
- Mother to child transmission of HIV among Zimbabwean women who seroconverted postnatally: prospective cohort study.BMJ. 2010; 341: c6580
- Elimination of perinatal HIV infection in the USA and other high-income countries: achievements and challenges.Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2013; 8: 447-456
- Estimating per-act HIV transmission risk: a systematic review.AIDS. 2014; 28: 1509-1519
- Pregnancy incidence and outcomes among women receiving preexposure prophylaxis for HIV prevention: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 362-371
- Pregnancy and contraceptive use among women participating in the FEM-PrEP trial.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015; 68: 196-203
- Antiretroviral Pregnancy Registry International Interim Report for 1 January 1989–31 July 2015.Registry Coordinating Center, Wilmington (NC)2015 (Available at:)
- Safety of tenofovir use during pregnancy: early growth outcomes in HIV-exposed uninfected infants.AIDS. 2012; 26: 1151-1159
- Pregnancy and infant outcomes among HIV-infected women taking long-term ART with and without tenofovir in the DART trial.PLoS Med. 2012; 9: e1001217
Siberry GK, Tierney C, Stranix-Chibanda L, et al. Impact of maternal tenofovir use on HIV-exposed newborn bone mineral content. Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, Boston, MA, Feb 22-5, 2016.
- Infant growth outcomes after maternal tenofovir disoproxil fumarate use during pregnancy.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013; 64: 374-381
- Meconium tenofovir concentrations and growth and bone outcomes in prenatally tenofovir exposed HIV-uninfected children.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015; 34: 851-857
Panel on Treatment of HIV-Infected Pregnant Women and Prevention of Perinatal Transmission. Recommendations for use of antiretroviral drugs in pregnant HIV-1-infected women for maternal health and interventions to reduce perinatal HIV transmission in the United States. Available at: http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/lvguidelines/PerinatalGL.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2016.
- AASLD guidelines for treatment of chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology. 2016; 63: 261-283
- Breastfeeding while taking lamivudine or tenofovir disoproxil fumarate: a review of the evidence.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 60: 275-278
- Committee on Gynecologic Practice: preexposure prophylaxis for the prevention of human immunodeficiency virus. Committee Opinion, no.: 595.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 1133-1136
- Antiretroviral postexposure prophylaxis after sexual, injection-drug use, or other nonoccupational exposure to HIV in the United States: recommendations from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2005; 54: 1-20
- Integrating preexposure prophylaxis for human immunodeficiency virus prevention into women’s healthcare in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 37-43
- PrEP as peri-conception HIV prevention for women and men.Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2016; 13: 131-139
- HIV risk behaviors in heterosexual partnerships: female knowledge and male behavior.AIDS Behav. 2010; 14: 87-91
- Risk for HIV following a diagnosis of syphilis, gonorrhoea or chlamydia: 328,456 women in Florida, 2000-2011.Int J STD AIDS. 2015; 26: 113-119
K.K.O. salary is funded by a grant from Gilead Sciences; none of the other authors report conflicts of interest.
Cite this article as: Seidman DL, Weber S, Timoney MT, et al. Use of HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis during the preconception, antepartum and postpartum periods at two United States medical centers. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016;215:632.e1-7.