Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Public Law 111-148. Available at: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ148/html/PLAW-111publ148.htm. Accessed April 28, 2014.
Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute. Available at: www.pcori.org/about-us. Accessed Dec. 9, 2015.
Plastic Surgery Foundation. Patient-reported outcomes in surgery conference. Available at: http://www.thepsf.org/training/pros-conference.htm. Accessed Dec. 9, 2015.
Pierce O, Allen M. Assessing surgeon-level risk of patient harm during elective surgery for public reporting. 2015. Available at: https://www.propublica.org/article/surgery-risks-patient-safety-surgeon-matters. Accessed October 10, 2015.
- Scoring no goal–further adventures in transparency.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 1385-1388
- Preoperative quality of life and surgical outcomes in gynecologic oncology patients: A new predictor of operative risk?.Gynecol Oncol. 2014; 133: 546-551
- Predicting postoperative morbidity following cytoreductive surgery with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (CS+HIPEC) with preoperative FACT-C (Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy) and patient-rated performance status.Ann Surg Oncol. 2013; 20: 3519-3526
- Lower preoperative quality of life increases postoperative risk of adverse events in women with endometrial cancer: results from the LACE trial.Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 137: 102-105
- The Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy scale: development and validation of the general measure.J Clin Oncol. 1993; 11: 570-579
- Development of physical and mental health summary scores from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) global items.Qual Life Res. 2009; 18: 873-880
- Item banks for measuring emotional distress from the Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS): depression, anxiety, and anger.Assessment. 2011; 18: 263-283
- The Work Ability Index.Occup Med. 2007; 57: 160
- Obesity is associated with worse quality of life in women with gynecologic malignancies: an opportunity to improve patient-centered outcomes.Cancer. 2015; 121: 395-402
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 205-213
- A causal model for fatigue in lung cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2016; 21: 242-247
- The role of anxiety in the development of anticipatory nausea in cancer chemotherapy: a review and synthesis.Psychosom Med. 1990; 52: 458-475
- Behavioral and psychological predictors of chemotherapy adherence in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer.J Psychosom Res. 2008; 65: 549-552
- Evidence-based treatment of anxiety in patients with cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1197-1205
- The relationship between anxiety and time to treatment for patients with prostate cancer on surveillance.J Urol. 2007; 178: 826-831
- Depression and anxiety in ovarian cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis of prevalence rates.BMJ Open. 2015; 5: e007618
- Anxiety and prevalence of psychiatric disorders among patients awaiting surgery for suspected ovarian cancer.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2008; 34: 543-551
- The status of women in North Carolina.Institute for Women's Policy Research, Washington (DC)2013
- Demographic profile of Hispanics in North Carolina, 2011. Pew Research Center, Washington (DC)2013 (Available at: http://www.pewhispanic.org/states/state/nc/. Accessed June 3, 2016)
Howlader N, Noone AM, Krapcho M, et al. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1975-2011, National Cancer Institute. Available from: http://seer.cancer.gov/csr/1975_2011/. Accessed Aug. 1, 2014.
- Comparative effectiveness of sphincter-sparing surgery versus abdominoperineal resection in rectal cancer: patient-reported outcomes in National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project randomized trial R-04.Ann Surg. 2015; 261: 144-148
- Quality of life of patients with endometrial cancer undergoing laparoscopic International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics staging compared with laparotomy: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 5337-5342
The research reported in this publication was supported by the National Cancer Institute of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) under award R25CA116339 and the North Carolina University Cancer Research Fund. The funding sources had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; and decision to submit the manuscript for publication. The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Doll KM, Barber EL, Bensen JT, et al. The impact of surgical complications on health-related quality of life in women undergoing gynecologic and gynecologic oncology procedures: a prospective longitudinal cohort study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016;215:457.e1-13.