Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Vital signs: overdoses of prescription opioid pain relievers and other drugs among women—United States, 1999–2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 537-542
- Opioid overdose deaths rose fivefold among US women in 10 years.BMJ. 2013; 347: f4415
- Annual summary of vital statistics: 2010-2011.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 548-558
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Inpatient Surgery. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/insurg.htm. Accessed April 20, 2016.
- Multimodal postcesarean delivery analgesia.Clin Perinatol. 2013; 40: 443-455
- Group-based trajectory models: a new approach to classifying and predicting long-term medication adherence.Med Care. 2013; 51: 789-796
- Group-based modeling of development.Harvard University Press, Boston (MA)2005
- Analyzing developmental trajectories: a semiparametric, group-based approach.Psychol Methods. 1999; 4: 139
- Oral and parenteral opioid analgesics for acute pain management.in: Sinatra R.S. de Leon-Cassasola O.A. Viscusi E.R. Ginsberg B. Acute pain management. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (MA)2009: 188-203
- Improvements on cross-validation: the 632+ bootstrap method.J Am Stat Assoc. 1997; 92: 548-560
- Opioid endocrinopathy in women consuming prescribed sustained-action opioids for control of nonmalignant pain.J Pain. 2008; 9: 28-36
- Opioid prescriptions for chronic pain and overdose: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 85-92
- Opioid therapy for chronic pain.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1943-1953
- Opioid-induced hyperalgesia: a qualitative systematic review.Anesthesiology. 2006; 104: 570-587
- Opioid endocrinopathy: a clinical problem in patients with chronic pain and long-term oral opioid treatment.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 374-380
- The perils of opioid prescribing during pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2014; 41: 297-306
- A pilot cohort study of the determinants of longitudinal opioid use after surgery.Anesth Analg. 2012; 115: 694-702
- Risk factors for clinically recognized opioid abuse and dependence among veterans using opioids for chronic non-cancer pain.Pain. 2007; 129: 355-362
- Regular use of prescribed opioids: association with common psychiatric disorders.Pain. 2005; 119: 95-103
- Association between mental health disorders, problem drug use, and regular prescription opioid use.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 2087-2093
- Use of opioid medications for chronic noncancer pain syndromes in primary care.J Gen Intern Med. 2002; 17: 173-179
- Pain medication beliefs and medication misuse in chronic pain.J Pain. 2005; 6: 620-629
- Predictors of long-term opioid use among patients with painful lumbar spine conditions.J Pain. 2010; 11: 44-52
- Association of mental health disorders with prescription opioids and high-risk opioid use in US veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan.JAMA. 2012; 307: 940-947
- Opioid consumption following outpatient upper extremity surgery.J Hand Surg Am. 2012; 37: 645-650
- Opioid pain medication use after dermatologic surgery: a prospective observational study of 212 dermatologic surgery patients.JAMA Dermatol. 2013; 149: 317-321
- Adult use of prescription opioid pain medications—Utah, 2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010; 59: 153-157
- Resolution of pain after childbirth.Anesthesiology. 2013; 118: 143-151
- Chronic pain after childbirth.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2013; 22: 133-145
- Systematic review: opioid treatment for chronic back pain: prevalence, efficacy, and association with addiction.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 146: 116-127
This study was supported by an unrestricted research grant from CVS Caremark to Brigham and Women’s Hospital and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development of the National Institutes of Health (award number K08HD075831 ).
The authors report no conflicts of interest.
Cite this article as: Bateman BT, Franklin JM, Bykov K, et al. Persistent opioid use following cesarean delivery: patterns and predictors among opioid-naïve women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016;215:353.e1-18.