This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The effect of pretreatment with hyperbaric oxygen on the response to anoxia and survival on resuscitation was studied in newborn rabbits less than 48 hours of age. The over-all pattern of reaction to anoxia and the time to last gasp were similar in rabbits pretreated with hyperbaric oxygen and controls. However, a comparison of survival rates on resuscitation during secondary apnea revealed that the group treated with hyperbaric oxygen had a significantly lower rate of survival than the control rabbits. This adverse effect on survival was prevented by the prior administration of sedating doses of pentobarbital. It was also noted that pentobarbital administered in sedating doses prolonged the time of primary apnea and the time to last gasp in rabbits so treated. However, it did not increase survival on resuscitation in secondary apnea over that found in the control animals.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lancet. 1962; 2: 465
- Ann. New York Acad. Sc. 1965; 117: 706
- Lancet. 1963; 2: 1019
- Surgery. 1963; 54: 203
- J. Pediat. 1966; 68: 153
Campbell, A.G.M., and Milligan, J.E.: Unpublished.
- Electron. Eng. 1957; 29: 336
- Lancet. 1957; 2: 368
- Biochem. J. 1954; 56: 646
- J. Pediat. 1968; 72: 917
- J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 1942; 28: 706
- Acta pharmacol. et toxicol. 1965; 22: 93
- J. Pediat. 1964; 65: 807
- Am. J. Physiol. 1942; 135: 387
- J. Physiol. 1960; 153: 457
- J. Physiol. 1959; 146: 516
- General Effects of Oxygen at High Oxygen Tension.in: Dickens F. Neil E. Oxygen in the Animal Organism. Pergamon Press, Ltd., Oxford1964: 455
- Acta paediat. 1959; 48: 477
- J. Physiol. 1937; 90: 91P
- Am. J. Physiol. 1954; 179: 410
- Am. J. Physiol. 1957; 188: 593
- Am. J. Physiol. 1956; 187: 389
- Ann. New York Acad. Sc. 1965; 117: 745
Presented by invitation at the Twenty-fourth Annual Meeting of the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada, The Chanticler, St. Adèle, Quebec, June 14–16, 1968.
© 1969 The C. V. Mosby Company. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.