Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Hypertension in pregnancy. Report of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists’ Task Force on Hypertension in Pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 1122
- Pre-eclampsia. Lancet. 2000; 356: 1260-1265
- What we have learned about preeclampsia.Semin Perinatol. 2003; 27: 239-246
- Risk factors of pre-eclampsia/eclampsia and its adverse outcomes in low- and middle-income countries: a WHO secondary analysis.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e91198
- Pre-eclampsia. Lancet. 2010; 376: 631-644
- Latest advances in understanding preeclampsia.Science. 2005; 308: 1592-1594
- Maternal infection and risk of preeclampsia: systematic review and metaanalysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 7-22
- High viral load and elevated angiogenic markers associated with increased risk of preeclampsia among women initiating highly active antiretroviral therapy in pregnancy in the Mma Bana Study, Botswana.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013; 62: 517-524
- Prenatal Chlamydia trachomatis infection increases the risk of preeclampsia.Pregnancy Hypertens. 2013; 3: 151-154
- Antibiotics for asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 8: CD000490
- Asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancy and its association with prematurity.J Lab Clin Med. 1964; 63: 224-231
- The significance of asymptomatic bacteriuria in the normal obstetric patient.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1964; 90: 897-906
- The incidence of urinary infection in 5000 pregnant women.Lancet. 1966; 2: 925-928
- The effects of bacteriuria in pregnancy on maternal and fetal health.Kidney Int. 1975; 4: S113-S119
- Bacteriuria and pregnancy outcome: a prospective hospital-based study in Pakistani women.J Pak Med Assoc. 1994; 44: 12-13
- Longitudinal evaluation of predictive value for preeclampsia of circulating angiogenic factors through pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 207: 407.e1-407.e7
- Circulating angiogenic factors and the risk of preeclampsia.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 672-683
- Excess placental soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 (sFlt1) may contribute to endothelial dysfunction, hypertension, and proteinuria in preeclampsia.J Clin Invest. 2003; 111: 649-658
- Acute maternal infection and risk of pre-eclampsia: a population-based case-control study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e73047
- The relationship between urinary tract infection during pregnancy and preeclampsia: causal, confounded or spurious?.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2008; 277: 479-481
- Pre-eclampsia: a nested, case-control study of risk factors and their interactions.J Reprod Med. 1996; 41: 491-496
- Urogenital infection in preeclampsia.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1995; 49: 271-275
- Acute pyelonephritis during pregnancy changes the balance of angiogenic and anti-angiogenic factors in maternal plasma.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2010; 23: 167-178
- Circulating soluble endoglin levels in pregnant women in Cameroon and Malawi and associations with placental malaria and fetal growth restriction.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e24985
- Elevated sFlt1 level and preeclampsia with parvovirus-induced hydrops.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1857-1858
- Cytomegalovirus-induced mirror syndrome associated with elevated levels of circulating antiangiogenic factors.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 549-552
- VEGF-A stimulation of leukocyte adhesion to colonic microvascular endothelium: implications for inflammatory bowel disease.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2006; 290: G648-G654
- A central role for inflammation in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy.FASEB J. 2004; 18: 1450-1452
- Clinical characterization and outcomes of preeclampsia with normal angiogenic profile.Hypertens Pregnancy. 2013; 32: 189-201
- Low placental growth factor across pregnancy identifies a subset of women with preterm preeclampsia: type 1 versus type 2 preeclampsia?.Hypertension. 2012; 60: 239-246
- Does this woman have an acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection?.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2701-2710
- Diagnosis and management of urinary tract infections in the outpatient setting: a review.JAMA. 2014; 312: 1677-1684
- The diagnostic accuracy of rapid dipstick tests to predict urinary tract infection.Am J Clin Pathol. 1991; 96: 582-588
This research was supported by an unrestricted grant from Abbott Diagnostics Division (9MZ-04-06N03).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Separate portions of analysis previously presented as a poster at the annual meeting of the Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, San Francisco, CA, Feb. 13, 2012, and as a poster (abstract T-182) at the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Florence, Italy, March 27, 2014.
Cite this article as: Easter SR, Cantonwine DE, Zera CA, et al. Urinary tract infection during pregnancy, angiogenic factor profiles, and risk of preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016;214:387.e1-7.