Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Office for National Statistics. Gestation-specific infant mortality, 2012. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/child-health/gestation-specific-infant-mortality-in-england-and-wales/2012/stb-gestation-specific-infant-mortality-2012.html. Accessed Feb. 8, 2015.
- Influence of premature birth on the health conditions, receipt of special education and sport participation of children aged 6-17 years in the USA.J Public Health (Oxf). 2015; https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdv098
Office for National Statistics. Births in England and Wales by characteristics of birth, 2013. Available at: http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/characteristics-of-birth-2-england–and–wales/2013/sb-characteristics-of-birth-2.html. Accessed Feb. 8, 2015.
- An overview of mortality and sequelae of preterm birth from infancy to adulthood.Lancet. 2008; 371: 261-269
- Preterm birth and mortality and morbidity: a population-based quasi-experimental study.JAMA Psychiatry. 2013; 70: 1231-1240
- Progesterone and the risk of preterm birth among women with a short cervix.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 462-469
- Vaginal progesterone is associated with a decrease in risk for early preterm birth and improved neonatal outcome in women with a short cervix: a secondary analysis from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 30: 697-705
- Vaginal progesterone reduces the rate of preterm birth in women with a sonographic short cervix: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 38: 18-31
- Vaginal progesterone in women with an asymptomatic sonographic short cervix in the midtrimester decreases preterm delivery and neonatal morbidity: a systematic review and metaanalysis of individual patient data.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 206: 124.e1-124.e19
- Cerclage for short cervix on ultrasonography in women with singleton gestations and previous preterm birth: a meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 663-671
- Cerclage for short cervix on ultrasonography, meta-analysis of trials using individual patient-level data.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 181-189
- A trial of 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate to prevent prematurity in twins.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 454-461
- Progesterone for the prevention of preterm birth in twin pregnancy (STOPPIT): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2009; 373: 2034-2040
- Prevention of preterm delivery in twin gestations (PREDICT): a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled trial on the effect of vaginal micronized progesterone.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 38: 272-280
- Effectiveness of progestogens to improve perinatal outcome in twin pregnancies: an individual participant data meta-analysis.BJOG. 2015; 122: 27-37
- Is treatment with vaginal pessaries an option in patients with a sonographically detected short cervix?.J Perinat Med. 2003; 31: 122-133
- Alternative treatment for a short cervix: the cervical pessary.Semin Perinatol. 2009; 33: 338-342
- Cervical pessary in pregnant women with a short cervix (PECEP): an open-label randomized controlled trial.Lancet. 2012; 379: 1800-1806
- Cerclage pessary for preventing preterm birth in women with a singleton pregnancy and a short cervix at 20 to 24 weeks: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Perinatol. 2013; 30: 283-288
- Cervical pessaries for prevention of preterm birth in women with a multiple pregnancy (ProTWIN): a multicenter, open-label randomized controlled trial.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1341-1349
- A critical evaluation of sonar “crown-rump length” measurements.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1975; 82: 702-710
- The lambda sign at 10-14 weeks of gestation as a predictor of chorionicity in twin pregnancies.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 7: 421-423
- Cervical sonography: a review.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 11: 71-78
- Maternal characteristics and cervical length in the prediction of spontaneous early preterm delivery in twins.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 1360-1365
- Applied survival analysis: regression modeling of time to event data.John Wiley, New York (NY)1999
- Proportional hazards tests and diagnostics based on weighted residuals.Biometrika. 1994; 81: 515-526
- What’s the relative risk? A method of correcting the odds ratio in cohort studies of common outcomes.JAMA. 1998; 280: 1690-1691
Cite this article as: Nicolaides KH, Syngelaki A, Poon LC, et al. Cervical pessary placement for prevention of preterm birth in unselected twin pregnancies: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016;214:3.e1-9.
The study was supported by a grant from the Fetal Medicine Foundation (United Kingdom charity no. 1037116).
The authors report no conflict of interest.