Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Putting the “M” back in maternal-fetal medicine.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208: 442-448
- Levels of maternal care. ACOG Obstetric Care consensus no. 2.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 502-515
- Monitoring childbirth morbidity using hospital discharge data: further development and application of a composite measure.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 268.e1-268.e16
- Level and volume of neonatal intensive care and mortality in very-low-birth-weight infants.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2165-2175
- Perinatal regionalization for very low-birth-weight and very preterm infants.JAMA. 2010; 304: 992-1000
- The effect of neonatal intensive care level and hospital volume on mortality of very low birth weight infants.Med Care. 2010; 48: 635-644
- Births: final data for 2012.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2013; 62: 1-86
- The definition of quality and approaches to its assessment. Explorations in quality assessment and monitoring, Vol 1.Health Administration Press, Ann Arbor (MI)1980
- A conceptual framework for hospital quality management.Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2003; 16: 29-36
California Code of Regulations. Title 22. Social Security. Available at: https://govt.westlaw.com/calregs/Browse/Home/California/CaliforniaCodeofRegulations?guid=I6F56A7E1D4B611DE8879F88E8B0DAAAE&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=Default&contextData=%28sc.Default%29. Accessed June 9, 2015.
- Riley L.E. Stark A.R. Kilpatrick S.J. Papile L.A. Guidelines for perinatal care. 7th ed. American Academy of Pediatrics, Elk Grove Village (IL)2012
- Vaginal birth after cesarean: do California hospital policies follow national guidelines?.J Reprod Med. 2007; 52: 349-358
Regional Perinatal Programs of California. Available at: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/rppc/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed June 9, 2015.
American Medical Association. FREIDA Online. Available at: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/graduate-medical-education/freida-online.page. Accessed June 9, 2015.
American Hospital Association (AHA). AHA Annual Survey Database Fiscal Year 2012. Available at: http://www.ahadataviewer.com/book-cd-products/AHA-Survey/. Accessed June 9, 2015.
Flex monitoring team. Critical access hospital locations. Available at: http://www.flexmonitoring.org/data/critical-access-hospital-locations/?search_state=CA&filter_search=yes#result-list. Accessed June 9, 2015.
State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development, Healthcare Information Division. Hospital annual utilization data, 2014. Available at: http://www.oshpd.ca.gov/hid/Products/Hospitals/Utilization/Hospital_Utilization.html. Accessed June 9, 2015.
California Department of Health Care Services. Approved neonatal intensive care units and high-risk infant follow-up programs. Available at: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/ccs/Pages/NICUSCC.aspx. Accessed June 9, 2015.
California Department of Health Care Services. Neonatal intensive care unit (regional) listing. Available at: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/ccs/scc/Pages/NICURegional.aspx. Accessed June 9, 2015.
- Neonatal intensive care unit (community) listing. Available at.(Accessed)http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/ccs/scc/Pages/NICUCommunity.aspxDate: June 9, 2015
Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). ACGME program requirements for graduate medical education in obstetrics and gynecology. June 12, 2007. Available at: https://www.acgme.org/acgmeweb/Portals/0/PFAssets/ProgramRequirements/220_obstetrics_and_gynecology_07012014.pdf. Accessed June 9, 2015.
California Department of Health Care Services. Neonatal intensive care unit (intermediate) listing. Available at: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/ccs/scc/Pages/NICUIntermediate.aspx. Accessed June 9, 2015.
- National health surveys and the behavioral model of health services use.Med Care. 2008; 46: 647-653
- Determinants of hospital choice of rural hospital patients: the impact of networks, service scopes, and market competition.J Med Syst. 2008; 32: 343-353
- Are urban safety-net hospitals losing low-risk Medicaid maternity patients?.Health Serv Res. 2001; 36: 25-51
- Alternative versus conventional institutional settings for birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 8: CD000012
- Pathophysiology and epidemiology of peripartum cardiomyopathy.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2014; 11: 364-370
- Regionalizing emergency care: workshop summary.National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2011 (Available at)Accessed June 9, 2015)
- Defining and measuring successful emergency care networks: a research agenda.Acad Emerg Med. 2010; 17: 1297-1305
Serfaty A, Gold F, Benifla J-L, Breart G. From knowledge to planning considerations: a matrix to assess health needs for the perinatal network in eastern Paris. Eur J Public Health 201;21:504-11.
The funding sources had no involvement in the conduct of the research or preparation of the manuscript.
Financial support was provided by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (grant 5 R01 HS020915) (all investigators except D.S.F.). Additional support was provided by the March of Dimes (to L.M.K., M.F., and D.L.B.) and by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists/Duchesnay USA Research Award in Quality Improvement in Maternity Care (to D.S.F.).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Korst LM, Feldman DS, Bollman DL, et al. Variation in childbirth services in California: a cross-sectional survey of childbirth hospitals. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;213:523.e1-8.