Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- WHO Recommendations for the prevention and treatment of postpartum haemorrhage.World Health Organization, Geneva (Switzerland)2012: 3
- Trends in postpartum hemorrhage: United States, 1994–2006.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: 353
- Intrapartum Care. Care of healthy women and their babies during childbirth.RCOG Press, London (United Kingdom)2007
- Pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum and newborn care: a guide for essential practice.2nd ed. World Health Organization, Geneva (Switzerland)2006: B11
- Prolonged third stage of labor: morbidity and risk factors.Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 77: 863-867
- Factors associated with postpartum hemorrhage with vaginal birth.Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 77: 69-76
- Risk of retained placenta: a multivariate approach.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1997; 76: 414-418
- Epidemiology of retained placenta. Oxytocin as an independent risk factor.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 119: 801-808
- Retained placenta is associated with pre-eclampsia, stillbirth, giving birth to a small-for-gestational-age infant and spontaneous preterm birth: a national register-based study.BJOG. 2014; 121: 1462-1470
- Risk Factors for retained placenta in southwestern Nigeria.Singapore Med J. 2008; 49: 532-537
- Preterm delivery: a risk factor for retained placenta.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 193: 823-825
- Contemporary cesarean delivery practice in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 323
- The incidence and risk factors for retained placenta after vaginal delivery—a single center experience.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2014; 27: 1897-1900
- Sillbirth classification—developing an international consensus for research: executive summary of a Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development workshop.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 901-914
- Dynamic ultrasonographic imaging of the third stage of labor: new perspectives into third-stage mechanisms.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 168: 1496
- Gray scale and color Doppler sonography in the third state of labor for early detection of failed placental separation.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 15: 138-142
- Placental influence on the rate of labour progression: a pilot study.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2003; 106: 158
- Recognition of placental failure is key in saving babies' lives.Placenta. 2015; 36: S20-S28
- Systemic review of placental pathology reports in association with stillbirth.Placenta. 2014; 35: 552-562
- Placental findings contributing to fetal death, a study of 120 stillbirths between 23 and 40 weeks gestation.Placenta. 2009; 30: 700-704
- Identification of the causes of intrauterine death during 310 consecutive autopsies.Placenta. 2004; 113: 134-138
- Placental findings in singleton stillbirths.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 325-336
- Maternal morbid obesity and the risk of adverse pregnancy outcome.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 103: 219-224
- Low maternal weight, failure to thrive in pregnancy and adverse pregnancy outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 1726-1730
- Maternal outcomes in pregnancies complicated by obesity.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 1357-1364
- Maternal obesity and risk of postpartum hemorrhage.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 561-568
- Oxidative stress and maternal obesity: feto-placental unit interaction.Placenta. 2014; 35: 411-416
- Births: final data 2012.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2013; 62: 8
- Placenta previa, placenta accreta, and vasa previa.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 107: 927-941
- Risk of retained placenta in women previously delivered by caesarean section: a population-based cohort study.BJOG. 2014; 121: 224-229
- Is epidural analgesia during labor related to retained placenta?.J Perinat Med. 2015; : e1-e5
Institutions involved in the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development/National Institutes of Health Consortium on Safe Labor are listed in the Acknowledgments.
This study was supported by the Graduate Medical Education program , MedStar Washington Hospital Center , and supported in part by the Intramural Research Program , Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development . The data included in this paper were obtained from the Consortium on Safe Labor, supported by the Intramural Research Program of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development , National Institutes of Health , through contract HHSN267200603425C .
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health.
Cite this article as: Coviello EM, Grantz KL, Huang C-C, et al. Risk factors for retained placenta. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;213:864.e1-11.