Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Vaginal “rejuvenation” and cosmetic vaginal procedures. ACOG Committee Opinion no. 378.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 110: 737-738
- Physicians’ attitude toward female genital plastic surgery: a multinational survey.J Sex Med. 2014; 11: 33-39
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). 2012 Statistics. Available at: http://www.surgery.org/media/news-releases/rising-demand-for-female-cosmetic-genital-surgery-begets-new-beautification-techniques. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Interest in cosmetic vulvar surgery and perception of vulvar appearance.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 207: 428.e1-428.e7
- No (wo)man is an island: the influence of physicians’ personal predisposition to labia minora appearance on their clinical decision making: a cross-sectional survey.J Sex Med. 2011; 8: 2377-2385
- Female attitudes regarding labia minora appearance and reduction with consideration of media influence.Aesthet Surg J. 2009; 29: 65-71
- Labial surgery for well women: a review of the literature.BJOG. 2010; 117: 20-25
- Expectations and experience of labial reduction: a qualitative study.BJOG. 2007; 114: 1493-1499
- Female genital appearance: “normality” unfolds.BJOG. 2005; 112: 643-646
- Genital appearance dissatisfaction: implications for women’s genital image self-consciousness, sexual esteem, sexual satisfaction, and sexual risk.Psychol Women Q. 2010; 34: 394-404
- Petals.Crystal River Publisher, San Diego, CA2003
- Gynecologic knowledge is low in college men and women.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2013; 26: 161-166
- Pubic hair removal among women in the United States: prevalence, methods, and characteristics.J Sex Med. 2010; 7: 3322-3330
- “What Motivates Her”: motivations for considering labial reduction surgery as recounted on women’s online communities and surgeons’ websites.Sex Med. 2014; 2: 16-23
- Clinical characteristics of well women seeking labial reduction surgery: a prospective study.BJOG. 2011; 118: 1507-1510
- Psychological characteristics and motivation of women seeking labiaplasty.Psychol Med. 2014; 44: 555-566
- Labiaplasty of the labia minora: patients’ indications for pursuing surgery.J Sex Med. 2008; 5: 1492-1495
Supported by the TriHealth Medical Education Research Fund .
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Mazloomdoost D, Crisp CC, Westermann LB. Survey of male perceptions regarding the vulva. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;213:731.e1-9.