Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Maternal mortality from cardiac disease in Turkey: a population-based study.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 25: 2451-2453
- Maternal mortality due to cardiac disease in Sri Lanka.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2009; 104: 194-198
- Cardiac disease during pregnancy—a Free State perspective on maternal morbidity and mortality.S Afr Med J. 1997; 87: C19-22
- Pregnancy-related mortality due to cardiomyopathy: United States, 1991–1997.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 103: 1342
- Cardiomyopathy and other myocardial disorders among hospitalizations for pregnancy in the United States: 2004–2006.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 93-100
- Incidence and prevalence of pregnancy-related heart disease.Cardiovasc Res. 2014; 101: 554-560
Knight M, Kenyon S, Brocklehurst P, Neilson J, Shakespeare J, Kurinczuk JJ, eds, on behalf of MBRRACE–UK. Saving lives, improving mothers' care—lessons learned to inform future maternity care from the UK and Ireland: confidential enquiries into maternal deaths and morbidity 2009–2012. Oxford (United Kingdom): National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford;2014.2
- Pregnancy-related mortality in the United States, 1998 to 2005.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1302-1309
- Pregnancy-related mortality in the United States, 2006-2010.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 5-12
- Maternal mortality and morbidity in the United States: where are we now?.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2014; 23: 3-9
- Natural course of peripartum cardiomyopathy.Circulation. 1971; 44: 1053-1061
- Epidemiology of peripartum cardiomyopathy: incidence, predictors, and outcomes.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 583-591
- Near-miss maternal mortality: cardiac dysfunction as the principal cause of obstetric intensive care unit admissions.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 250-255
The California Pregnancy-Associated Mortality Review (CA-PAMR): update from 2002-2004 Maternal Death Reviews. Available at: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/data/statistics/Pages/CaliforniaPregnancy-AssociatedMortalityReview.aspx. 2013. Accessed Jan. 10, 2015.
- California pregnancy-associated mortality review: mixed methods approach for improved case identification, cause of death analyses and translation of findings.Matern Child Health J. 2014; 18: 518-526
- An evaluation of the Kessner Adequacy of Prenatal Care Index and a proposed Adequacy of Prenatal Care Utilization Index.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 1414-1420
- Age-related changes in normal human hearts during the first 10 decades of life. Part II (maturity): a quantitative anatomic study of 765 specimens from subjects 20 to 99 years old.Mayo Clin Proc. 1988; 63: 137-146
- Current state of knowledge on aetiology, diagnosis, management, and therapy of peripartum cardiomyopathy: a position statement from the Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology Working Group on Peripartum Cardiomyopathy.Eur J Heart Fail. 2010; 12: 767-778
- Peripartum cardiomyopathy: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and Office of Rare Diseases (National Institutes of Health) workshop recommendations and review.JAMA. 2000; 283: 1183-1188
- Characteristics of sudden arrhythmic death in a diverse, urban community.Am Heart J. 2012; 163: 125-131
- Pregnancy-related mortality due to cardiomyopathy: United States, 1991–1997.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 102: 1326-1331
- Peripartum cardiomyopathy: population-based birth prevalence and 7-year mortality.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1013-1019
- Independent association of waist circumference with hypertension and diabetes in African American women, South Carolina, 2007–2009.Prev Chronic Dis. 2012; 9: E105
- Why African-American women are at greater risk for pregnancy-related death.Ann Epidemiol. 2007; 17: 180-185
- Pregnancy and the cardiovascular system.Int J Cardiol. 2005; 98: 179-189
- Chronic heart disease and severe obstetric morbidity among hospitalisations for pregnancy in the USA: 1995–2006.BJOG. 2011; 118: 345-352
This study was supported by a Federal Title V MCH block grant from the Maternal Child and Adolescent Health Division, California Department of Public Health.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Hameed AB, Lawton ES, McCain CL, et al. Pregnancy-related cardiovascular deaths in California: beyond peripartum cardiomyopathy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;213:379.e1-10.