Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Evidence-based surgery for cesarean delivery: an updated systematic review.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 209: 294-306
- Evidence-based surgery for cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 193: 1607-1617
- Techniques and materials for skin closure in cesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 11: CD003577
- Cesarean skin closure preferences: a survey of obstetricians.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2013; 26: 753-756
- Suture compared with staple skin closure after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 1169-1175
- Appearance scales to measure cosmetic outcomes of healed lacerations.Am J Emerg Med. 1995; 13: 229-231
- The patient and observer scar assessment scale: a reliable and feasible tool for scar evaluation.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 113: 1960-1965
- Closure of Pfannenstiel skin incisions: staples vs subcuticular suture.J Reprod Med. 1997; 42: 627-630
- Scar appearance of different skin and subcutaneous tissue closure techniques in cesarean section: a randomized study.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2008; 138: 29-33
- A randomized study comparing skin closure in cesarean sections: staples vs subcuticular sutures.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 265.e1-265.e4
- Randomized controlled trial of wound complication rates of subcuticular suture vs staples for skin closure at cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 285.e1-285.e8
- Cosmetic outcomes of various skin closure methods following cesarean delivery: a randomized trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 36.e1-36.e8
- Techniques for wound closure at cesarean section: a randomized clinical trial.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2012; 204: S267
- Subcuticular suture compared with staples for skin closure after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 878-884
- Different ways of subcutaneous tissue and skin closure at cesarean section: a randomized clinical trial on the long-term cosmetic outcome.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013; 92: 916-924
- Surgical staples compared with subcuticular suture for skin closure after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 33-38
- A randomized controlled trial comparing cosmetic outcome after skin closure with 'staples' or 'subcuticular sutures' in emergency cesarean section.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2014; 290: 655-659
- A randomized controlled trial on suture materials for skin closure at cesarean section: do wound infection rates differ?.S Afr Med J. 2012; 102: 374-376
- Staples vs subcuticular sutures for skin closure at cesarean delivery: a metaanalysis of randomized controlled trials.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 378-383
- Staples for skin closure in surgery.BMJ. 2010; 340: c403
- Staples compared with subcuticular suture for skin closure after cesarean delivery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 682-690
- Births: preliminary data for 2009.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2010; 59: 1-19
- An economic analysis of surgical wound infection.J Hosp Infect. 2001; 49: 245-249
One of the trials included in this metaanalysis, for which A.D.M. and V.B. are authors, was supported by Ethicon Inc. After that study was designed and initiated, Ethicon Inc agreed to provide funds to assist with patient recruitment and follow-up. The funding source had no influence on study design, study execution, data analysis, or publication. Those funds were not used to support this metaanalysis.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Mackeen AD, Schuster M, Berghella V. Suture versus staples for skin closure after cesarean: a metaanalysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;212:621.e1-10.