Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Contribution a l’etude de l’anatomie et de la physiologie de l’uterus gravide (in French).Arch Tocologie. 1890; 17: 794-804
- Reciprocal activity of the cornua and cervix uteri of the goat.J. Physiol. 1934; 81: 277-282
- The fibrous nature of the human cervix, and its relation to the isthmic segment in gravid and nongravid uteri.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1947; 53: 541-560
- Morphology of the human cervix.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1983; 26: 7-13
- The distribution and functional activity of the cervical musculature.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1954; 68: 1261-1271
- The behaviour of the cervix uteri in vivo.J Physiol. 1944; 103: 142-154
- The innervation of the rat cervix and its pharmacology in vitro and in vivo.Br J Pharmacol. 1974; 52: 539-547
- Inhibitory action of relaxin on human cervical smooth muscle.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1984; 59: 379-382
- Adrenoreceptor mechanisms in the regulation of contractile activity in the human cervix.Obstet Gynecol. 1984; 64: 363-367
- Has cervical smooth muscle any physiological role in the human?.Acta Physiol Hung. 1985; 65: 327-330
- Influence of neurohypophyseal hormones on human cervical smooth muscle contractility in vitro.Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 75: 240-243
- Smooth muscle pharmacology in the isolated virgin and pregnant rat uterus and cervix.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2012; 341: 587-596
- Introduction to fluorescence microscopy.Methods Mol Biol. 2011; 689: 93-136
- Calponin and SM22 as differentiation markers of smooth muscle spatiotemporal distribution during avian embryonic development.Differentiation. 1993; 55: 1-11
- Development of the genital ducts and external genitalia in the early human embryo.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2010; 36: 929-937
- Regional differences in rat vaginal smooth muscle contractility and morphology.Reprod Sci. 2013; 20: 382-390
- Activity of smooth muscles in human cervix and uterus.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1998; 79: 199-204
- Exploring smooth muscle phenotype and function in a bioreceptor model of abdominal aortic aneurysm.J Transl Med. 2013; 11: 208
- Airway epithelium stimulates smooth muscle proliferation.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2009; 41: 297-304
- Cervical remodeling during pregnancy and parturition: molecular characterization of the softening phase in mice.Reproduction. 2007; 134: 327-340
This study was supported by a Collaborative Clinical and Translational Research grant (S.W.W.)
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Ferland DJ, Darios ES, Watts SW. The persistence of active smooth muscle in the female rat cervix through pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;212:244.e1-8.