Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
James CV, Salganico A, Thomas M, Ranji U, Lillie-Blanton M, Wyn R. Putting women’s health care disparities on the map: examining racial and ethnic disparities at the state level. Available at: http://www.kff.org/minorityhealth/upload/7886.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2014.
- Disparities in maternal outcomes among four ethnic populations.Ethn Dis. 2005; 15: 492-497
- Racial/ethnic disparities in maternal morbidities: a statewide study of labor and delivery hospitalizations in Wisconsin.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 1455-1467
- Racial/ethnic disparities in obstetric outcomes and care: prevalence and determinants.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: 335-343
- Race, ethnicity, and nativity differentials in pregnancy-related mortality in the United States: 1993-2006.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 261-268
US Census Bureau. Income, poverty, and health insurance coverage in the United States: 2007. Current population reports: 2009. Available at: http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p60-235.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2014.
National Center for Health Statistics. Health, United States, 2009: with special feature on medical technology. Hyattsville, MD. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/hus09.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2014.
- Racial disparities in reported prenatal care advice from health care providers.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 82-88
- Racial differences in prenatal care of mothers delivering very low birth weight infants.J Perinatol. 2006; 26: 74-78
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. National healthcare disparities report, 2011. US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/research/findings/nhqrdr/nhdr11/nhdr11.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2014.
- How do black-serving hospitals perform on patient safety indicators? Implications for national public reporting and pay-for-performance.Med Care. 2010; 48: 1133-1137
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Overview of the State Inpatient Databases. Available at: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/sidoverview.jsp. Accessed March 30, 2014.
The American Hospital Association. American Hospital Association Data and Directories. Available at: http://www.aha.org/research/rc/stat-studies/data-and-directories.shtml. Accessed March 30, 2014.
- An enhanced method for identifying obstetric deliveries: implications for estimating maternal morbidity.Matern Child Health J. 2008; 12: 469-477
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Quality indicator development. Available at: http://www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/Modules/Default.aspx. Accessed March 30, 2014.
National Quality Measures Clearinghouse. Australian Council on Healthcare Standards: obstetrics. Available at: http://www.qualitymeasures.ahrq.gov/browse/by-organization-indiv.aspx?orgid=1984&term=obstetrics. Accessed March 30, 2014.
California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative. Maternity quality measures. Available at: http://www.cmqcc.org/maternity_quality_measures. Accessed March 30, 2014.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Adult health care quality measures. Available at: http://www.medicaid.gov/Medicaid-CHIP-Program-Information/By-Topics/Quality-of-Care/Adult-Health-Care-Quality-Measures.html. Accessed March 30, 2014.
Healthy People. 2020 Topics and objectives: maternal, infant, and child health. Available at: http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/objectiveslist.aspx?topicId=26. Accessed March 30, 2014.
Institute for Healthcare Improvement. The IHI improvement map. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/offerings/Initiatives/Improvemaphospitals/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed March 30, 2014.
March of Dimes. PeriStats. Available at: https://www.marchofdimes.com/peristats/calculations.aspx?reg=&top=&id=6. Accessed March 30, 2014.
National Quality Forum. Measures, clinical condition/topic area: perinatal and reproductive health. Available at: http://www.qualityforum.org/Qps/QpsTool.aspx. Accessed March 30, 2014.
The Joint Commission. Specifications manual for Joint Commission national quality measures (v2013B): perinatal care. Available at: https://manual.jointcommission.org/releases/TJC2013B/PerinatalCare.html. Accessed March 30, 2014.
The Leapfrog Group. The Leapfrog hospital survey reference book: normal deliveries measures references. p. 113-22. Available at: https://leapfroghospitalsurvey.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2012SurveyReference.pdf. Accessed March 30, 2014.
United Nations, World Health Organization. Indicators for monitoring the millennium development goals, goal 5: improve maternal health. Available at: http://mdgs.un.org/unsd/mi/wiki/MainPage.ashx. Accessed March 30, 2014.
- Severe maternal morbidity among delivery and postpartum hospitalizations in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1029-1036
- Racial and ethnic disparities in severe maternal morbidity: a multistate analysis, 2008-2010.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 435.e1-435.e8
- Low birthweight among US Hispanic/Latino subgroups: the effect of maternal foreign-born status and education.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 65: 2503-2516
- Use of hospital discharge data to monitor uterine rupture–Massachusetts, 1990-1997.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000; 49: 245-248
- Paradoxical trends and racial differences in obstetric quality and neonatal and maternal mortality.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 1201-1208
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pregnancy-related mortality surveillance. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/MaternalInfantHealth/PMSS.html. Accessed March 30, 2014.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Cite this article as: Creanga AA, Bateman BT, Mhyre JM, et al. Performance of racial and ethnic minority-serving hospitals on delivery-related indicators. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2014;211:647.e1-16.