Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- High cumulative incidence of uterine leiomyoma in black and white women: ultrasound evidence.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 188: 100-107
- Uterine leiomyomas: individualizing the approach to a heterogeneous condition.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 396-403
- Indications for hysterectomy.N Engl J Med. 1993; 328: 856-860
- Uterine fibroids: the elephant in the room.Science. 2005; 308: 1589-1592
- Variation in the incidence of uterine leiomyoma among premenopausal women by age and race.Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 90: 967-973
- Prevalence, symptoms and management of uterine fibroids: an international Internet-based survey of 21,746 women.BMC Womens Health. 2012; 12: 6
- The UFS-QOL, a new disease-specific symptom and health-related quality of life questionnaire for leiomyomata.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 99: 290-300
- A comparison between responses from a propensity-weighted web survey and an identical RDD survey.Soc Sci Comput Rev. 2004; 22: 128-138
- Correcting data from online surveys for the effects of nonrandom selection and nonrandom assignment.Harris Interactive. 2000; (Available at:) (Accessed July 31, 2013)
Rothman KJ, Greenland S, Lash TL. Modern epidemiology. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins; 2008.
- Approaches for estimating prevalence ratios.Occup Environ Med. 2008; 65:481: 501-506
- A modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706
- The estimated annual cost of uterine leiomyomata in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 206: 211.e1-211.e9
- Growth of uterine leiomyomata among premenopausal black and white women.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008; 105: 19887-19892
- The direct and indirect cost burden of clinically significant and symptomatic uterine fibroids.J Occup Environ Med. 2007; 49: 493-506
- Annual costs associated with diagnosis of uterine leiomyomata.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 108: 930-937
- Health care resource use for uterine fibroid tumors in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 955-964
- Uterine fibroid treatment patterns in a population of insured women.Fertil Steril. 2009; 91: 566-574
- Leiomyoma-related hospitalization and surgery: prevalence and predicted growth based on population trends.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: 492.e1-492.e5
- Hysterectomy, oophorectomy, estrogen, and the risk of dementia.Neurodegener Dis. 2012; 10: 175-178
- ACOG practice bulletin: alternatives to hysterectomy in the management of leiomyomas.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 112: 387-400
- Reproductive factors, hormonal contraception, and risk of uterine leiomyomata in African-American women: a prospective study.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 113-123
- Age-specific incidence rates for self-reported uterine leiomyomata in the black women's health study.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 563-568
- Advantages and limitations of web-based surveys: evidence from a child mental health survey.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2011; 46: 69-76
- Web-based questionnaires: the future in epidemiology?.Am J Epidemiol. 2010; 172: 1292-1298
- Shared medical decision making: a new tool for preventive medicine.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 26: 81-83
The survey was funded by Fibroid Relief , a program of the Focused Ultrasound Foundation in Charlottesville, VA, and was conducted by Harris Interactive, New York, NY. The analysis was conducted by the investigators with support from National Institutes of Health HD RC1063312 R01060503 (E.A.S. and B.J.B.), and R21DK095189 (W.K.N.).
L.B. is a consultant for Merit Medical, Ferring Pharmaceutical, and Endoceutics Inc, and a member of the speakers' bureau, Ferring Pharmaceutical and Bayer Healthcare; receives royalties from Elsevier; is a member of the editorial advisory board for Medscape; and is a paid writer for WebMD. E.A.S. is a clinical trial investigator for InSightec and National Institutes of Health (HD063312 and HD060503); consultant for Abbott and Gynesonics; scientific advisory board member, Bayer Healthcare Foundation; and receives royalties from UpToDate, Johns Hopkins University Press, and Massachusetts Medical Society. The remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Borah BJ, Nicholson WK, Bradley L, et al. The impact of uterine leiomyomas: a national survey of affected women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2013;209:319.e1-20.