Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- The World Health Report: 2005: Make every mother and child count.World Health Organization, Geneva2005
- Deaths: final data for 2004.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2007; 55: 1-119
- Increased postpartum hemorrhage rates in Australia.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2007; 98: 237-243
- Investigation of an increase in postpartum haemorrhage in Canada.BJOG. 2007; 114: 751-759
- Trends in postpartum hemorrhage in high resource countries: a review and recommendations from the International Postpartum Hemorrhage Collaborative Group.BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2009; 9: 55
- Trends in postpartum hemorrhage: United States, 1994-2006.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: 353.e1-353.e6
- The epidemiology of postpartum hemorrhage in a large, nationwide sample of deliveries.Anesth Analg. 2010; 110: 1368-1373
- Is there an increase of postpartum hemorrhage, and is severe hemorrhage associated with more frequent use of obstetric interventions?.Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2012; 66: 18-20
- Risk factors for postpartum hemorrhage: can we explain the recent temporal increase?.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2011; 33: 810-819
- Increasing trends in atonic postpartum haemorrhage in Ireland: an 11-year population-based cohort study.BJOG. 2012; 119: 306-314
- Visually estimated and calculated blood loss in vaginal and cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 519.e1-519.e7
- Hospital data reporting on postpartum hemorrhage: under-estimates recurrence and over-estimates the contribution of uterine atony.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 1542-1548
Bingham D, Lyndon A, Lagrew D, Main EK. A state-wide obstetric hemorrhage quality improvement initiative. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, vol. 36, no. 5, September/October 2011.
- Reducing maternal deaths through state maternal mortality review.J Women's Health. 2012; 21: 905-909
- Health advisory: prevention of maternal deaths through improved management of hemorrhage.State of New York Department of Health,. Aug. 12, 2004;
- How we treat: management of life-threatening primary postpartum hemorrhage with a standardized massive transfusion protocol.Transfusion. 2007; 47: 1564-1572
- Trends and morbidity associated with oxytocin use in labour in nulliparas at term.Aus N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2012; 52: 173-178
- Oxytocin exposure during labor among women with postpartum hemorrhage secondary to uterine atony.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 56.e1-56.e6
- Validity of using ICD-9-CM codes to identify selected categories of obstetric complications, procedures and co-morbidities.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012; 26: 421-429
- The changing specter of uterine rupture.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 200: 269.e1-269.e4
Supported by a grant from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research .
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Reprints are not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Kramer MS, Berg C, Abenhaim H, et al. Incidence, risk factors, and temporal trends in severe postpartum hemorrhage. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2013;209:449.e1-7.