Ovarian cancer classification and genetics
Cellular composition of the ovary
Theories of origin of EOC
In search of a cell of origin
Beyond BRCA mutation carriers
Unifying the hypotheses
Implications for prevention
- Menon U.
- Gentry-Maharaj A.
- Hallett R.
- et al.
- Chivukula M.
- Niemeier L.A.
- Edwards R.
- et al.
- Guidelines for colonoscopy surveillance after polypectomy: a consensus update by the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer and the American Cancer Society.CA Cancer J Clin. 2006; 56 (quiz 184-5): 143-159
- Immunological microenvironments in the human vagina and cervix: mediators of cellular immunity are concentrated in the cervical transformation zone.Biol Reprod. 2005; 73: 1253-1263
- Allelotyping of endometriosis with adjacent ovarian carcinoma reveals evidence of a common lineage.Cancer Res. 1998; 58: 1707-1712
- Cancer statistics, 2013.CA Cancer J Clin. 2013; 63: 11-30
- Cancer statistics, 2011: the impact of eliminating socioeconomic and racial disparities on premature cancer deaths.CA Cancer J Clin. 2011; 61: 212-236
- Morphological subtypes of ovarian carcinoma: a review with emphasis on new developments and pathogenesis.Pathology. 2011; 43: 420-432
- Driver mutations in TP53 are ubiquitous in high grade serous carcinoma of the ovary.J Pathol. 2010; 221: 49-56
- Ovarian tumorigenesis: a proposed model based on morphological and molecular genetic analysis.Am J Pathol. 2004; 164: 1511-1518
- Early events in the pathogenesis of epithelial ovarian cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2008; 26: 995-1005
- An immunohistochemical comparison between low-grade and high-grade ovarian serous carcinomas: significantly higher expression of p53, MIB1, BCL2, HER-2/neu, and C-KIT in high-grade neoplasms.Am J Surg Pathol. 2005; 29: 1034-1041
- Mutational analysis of K-ras segregates ovarian serous carcinomas into two types: invasive MPSC (low-grade tumor) and conventional serous carcinoma (high-grade tumor).Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2003; 22: 37-41
- Patterns of p53 mutations separate ovarian serous borderline tumors and low- and high-grade carcinomas and provide support for a new model of ovarian carcinogenesis: a mutational analysis with immunohistochemical correlation.Am J Surg Pathol. 2005; 29: 218-224
- E-cadherin expression in human epithelial ovarian cancer and normal ovary.Int J Cancer. 1997; 74: 275-280
- Peritoneal mesothelium and ovarian surface cells–shared characteristics.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 1984; 3: 361-375
- Patterns of gene expression in different histotypes of epithelial ovarian cancer correlate with those in normal fallopian tube, endometrium, and colon.Clin Cancer Res. 2005; 11: 6116-6126
- Incessant ovulation–a factor in ovarian neoplasia?.Lancet. 1971; 2: 163
- Ovarian surface epithelium: biology, endocrinology, and pathology.Endocr Rev. 2001; 22: 255-288
- "Incessant ovulation" and ovarian cancer.Lancet. 1979; 2: 170-173
- Different risk factor profiles for mucinous and nonmucinous ovarian cancer: results from the Danish MALOVA study.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2007; 16: 1160-1166
- Lactation and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer: the WHO collaborative study of neoplasia and steroid contraceptives.Int J Epidemiol. 1993; 22: 192-197
- Factors affecting the association of oral contraceptives and ovarian cancer.N Engl J Med. 1982; 307: 1047-1051
- Epithelial ovarian cancer and combined oral contraceptives: the WHO collaborative study of neoplasia and steroid contraceptives.Int J Epidemiol. 1989; 18: 538-545
- Epithelial ovarian cancer risk among women with polycystic ovary syndrome.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 88: 554-559
- A case-control study of oral contraceptive use and invasive epithelial ovarian cancer.Am J Epidemiol. 1994; 139: 654-661
- Determinants of ovarian cancer risk, II: inferences regarding pathogenesis.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1983; 71: 717-721
- Serum follicle-stimulating hormone and risk of epithelial ovarian cancer in postmenopausal women.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2003; 12: 1531-1535
- Serum gonadotropins and steroid hormones and the development of ovarian cancer.JAMA. 1995; 274: 1926-1930
- Hormonal etiology of epithelial ovarian cancer, with a hypothesis concerning the role of androgens and progesterone.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998; 90: 1774-1786
- Possible role of ovarian epithelial inflammation in ovarian cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999; 91: 1459-1467
- Low-grade ovarian serous neoplasms (low-grade serous carcinoma and serous borderline tumor) associated with high-grade serous carcinoma or undifferentiated carcinoma: report of a series of cases of an unusual phenomenon.Am J Surg Pathol. 2012; 36: 368-375
- Prevalence of endometriosis in malignant epithelial ovary tumors.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2003; 109: 97-101
- Dysplastic changes in prophylactically removed fallopian tubes of women predisposed to developing ovarian cancer.J Pathol. 2001; 195: 451-456
- Primary fallopian tube malignancies in BRCA-positive women undergoing surgery for ovarian cancer risk reduction.J Clin Oncol. 2007; 25: 3985-3990
- BRCA-mutation-associated fallopian tube carcinoma: a distinct clinical phenotype?.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 1327-1334
- Pathologic findings in prophylactic oophorectomy specimens in high-risk women.Gynecol Oncol. 2002; 87: 52-56
- BRCA1/2-related ovarian cancers are of tubal origin: a hypothesis.Gynecol Oncol. 2003; 90: 491
- A candidate precursor to serous carcinoma that originates in the distal fallopian tube.J Pathol. 2007; 211: 26-35
- Advances in the recognition of tubal intraepithelial carcinoma: applications to cancer screening and the pathogenesis of ovarian cancer.Adv Anat Pathol. 2006; 13: 1-7
- Intraepithelial carcinoma of the fimbria and pelvic serous carcinoma: evidence for a causal relationship.Am J Surg Pathol. 2007; 31: 161-169
- Locus-specific mutation databases: pitfalls and good practice based on the p53 experience.Nat Rev Cancer. 2006; 6: 83-90
- Are all pelvic (nonuterine) serous carcinomas of tubal origin?.Am J Surg Pathol. 2010; 34: 1407-1416
- TP53 mutations in serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma and concurrent pelvic high-grade serous carcinoma–evidence supporting the clonal relationship of the two lesions.J Pathol. 2012; 226: 421-426
- Papillary tubal hyperplasia: the putative precursor of ovarian atypical proliferative (borderline) serous tumors, noninvasive implants, and endosalpingiosis.Am J Surg Pathol. 2011; 35: 1605-1614
- Effect of screening on ovarian cancer mortality: the prostate, lung, colorectal and ovarian (PLCO) cancer screening randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2295-2303
- Longitudinal screening algorithm that incorporates change over time in CA125 levels identifies ovarian cancer earlier than a single-threshold rule.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 387-392
- Sensitivity and specificity of multimodal and ultrasound screening for ovarian cancer, and stage distribution of detected cancers: results of the prevalence screen of the UK collaborative trial of ovarian cancer screening (UKCTOCS).Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 327-340
- The preclinical natural history of serous ovarian cancer: defining the target for early detection.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000114
- Ki-67 labeling index as an adjunct in the diagnosis of serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2012; 31: 416-422
- The diagnostic and biological implications of laminin expression in serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma.Am J Surg Pathol. 2012; 36: 1826-1834
- The oviduct and ovarian cancer: causality, clinical implications, and “targeted prevention.”.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 55: 24-35
- Carcinomas of distal fallopian tube and their association with tubal intraepithelial carcinoma: do they share a common "precursor" lesion? loss of heterozygosity and immunohistochemical analysis using PAX 2, WT-1, and P53 markers.ISRN Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 2011: 858647
- Risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in BRCA mutation carriers: role of serial sectioning in the detection of occult malignancy.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 127-132
- Inpatient hysterectomy surveillance in the United States, 2000-2004.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 34e1-34e7
- Prophylactic oophorectomy in premenopausal women and long-term health.Menopause Int. 2008; 14: 111-116
- Ovarian conservation at the time of hysterectomy and long-term health outcomes in the nurses' health study.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 113: 1027-1037
- The post-reproductive fallopian tube: better removed?.Hum Reprod. 2011; 26: 2918-2924
- Prophylactic salpingectomy and delayed oophorectomy as an alternative for BRCA mutation carriers.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 14-24
- Tubal ligation and the risk of ovarian cancer: review and meta-analysis.Hum Reprod Update. 2011; 17: 55-67
- Underlying mechanisms of ovarian cancer risk reduction after tubal ligation.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2011; 90: 559-563
- Evaluation of DNA from the Papanicolaou test to detect ovarian and endometrial cancers.Sci Transl Med. 2013; 5: 167ra4
Supported in part by T32-CA091078 (Dr Erickson), and by the University of Alabama at Birmingham Center for Clinical and Translational Science ( 5UL1RR025777 ); the Reproductive Scientist Development Program through the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund and the National Institutes of Health ( K12 HD00849 ); and the Department of Defense Ovarian Cancer Research Academy ( OC093443 ) (Dr Landen).
The authors report no conflict of interest.