Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Trends in maternal mortality: 1990 to 2008.UNFPA, Bank W. UNFPA and the World Bank, 2010Accessed Oct. 15, 2012)
- World health report 2005: make every mother and child count.2005 (Geneva)
- Perinatal research in developing countries–is it possible?.Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2006; 11: 89-96
- 3.6 Million neonatal deaths–what is progressing and what is not?.Semin Perinatol. 2010; 34: 371-386
- The millennium development goals report 2011.2010 (Washington, DC)Accessed Oct. 14, 2012)
- Tracking maternal mortality declines in Mongolia between 1992 and 2007: the importance of collaboration.Bull World Health Organ. 2010; 88: 192-198
- Global strategy for womens and childrens health.World Health Organization, New York2010
- World development report 1993: investing in health.Accessed Oct. 16, 2012)
- Do mission hospitals have a role in achieving millennium development goal 5?.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2008; 102: 198-202
- Involving private voluntary health care providers in 'Better Health for Africa.'.World Hosp Health Serv. 1998; 34: 19-25
- Faith-based organizations play a major role in HIV/AIDS care and treatment in sub-Saharan Africa.2007 (Washington, DC)Accessed Oct. 16, 2012)
- The role of faith-based organizations in maternal and newborn health care in Africa.Int J Gynecol Obstet. 2011; 114: 218-222
- WHO global survey on maternal and perinatal health in Latin America: classifying cesarean sections.Reprod Health. 2009; 6: 18
- Methodological considerations in implementing the WHO global survey for monitoring maternal and perinatal health.Bull World Health Organ. 2008; 86: 126-131
- Method of delivery and pregnancy outcomes in Asia: the WHO global survey on maternal and perinatal health 2007-08.Lancet. 2010; 375: 490-499
- Maternal near miss and maternal death in the World Health Organization's 2005 global survey on maternal and perinatal health.Bull World Health Organ. 2010; 88: 113-119
- The worldwide incidence of preterm birth: a systematic review of maternal mortality and morbidity.Bull World Health Organ. 2010; 88: 31-38
J.P.V. is supported by an Australian Postgraduate Award and the A&A Saw Scholarship. The WHO Global Survey on Maternal and Perinatal Health was funded by the Governments of China, India, and Japan and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The findings and conclusions in this article are those of the named authors only.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Vogel JP, Betrán AP, Widmer M, et al. Role of faith-based and nongovernment organizations in the provision of obstetric services in 3 African countries. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;207:495.e1-7.