Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Pain in the neonate.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 1347-1348
- Pain and its effects in the human neonate and fetus.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 1321-1329
- Pain, nociception and the developing infant.Paediatr Anaesth. 1999; 9: 7-17
- Premature Infant Pain Profile: development and initial validation.Clin J Pain. 1996; 12: 13-22
- Pain expression in neonates: facial action and cry.Pain. 1987; 28: 395-410
- Fetal pain: implications for research and practice.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999; 106: 881-886
- Pain assessment in the neonate using the Bernese Pain Scale for Neonates.Early Hum Dev. 2004; 78: 125-131
- Development and initial validation of the EDIN scale, a new tool for assessing prolonged pain in preterm infants.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2001; 85: F36-F41
- Newborn infants' cry after heel-prick: analysis with sound spectrogram.Acta Paediatr. 2000; 89: 68-72
- Fetal programming of hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal function: prenatal stress and glucocorticoids.J Physiol. 2006; 572: 31-44
- Prenatal stress increases the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis response in young and adult rats.J Neuroendocrinol. 1994; 6: 341-345
- Long-term effects of prenatal stress on HPA axis activity in juvenile rhesus monkeys.Dev Psychobiol. 1994; 27: 257-269
- Epigenetic mechanisms of perinatal programming of hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal function and health.Trends Mol Med. 2007; 13: 269-277
- Prenatal glucocorticoid programming of brain corticosteroid receptors and corticotrophin-releasing hormone: possible implications for behaviour.Neuroscience. 2001; 104: 71-79
- Umbilical cortisol levels as an indicator of the fetal stress response to assisted vaginal delivery.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001; 98: 14-17
- Fetal cortisol in relation to labour, intrapartum events and mode of delivery.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004; 24: 129-132
- Mode of delivery is associated with maternal and fetal endocrine stress response.BJOG. 2006; 113: 441-445
- Stress responses at birth: determinants of cord arterial cortisol and links with cortisol response in infancy.BJOG. 2005; 112: 921-926
- Endocrine and metabolic adaptation following caesarean section or vaginal delivery.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 1996; 74: F132-F134
- Mode of delivery and subsequent stress response.Lancet. 2000; 355: 120
- Mode of delivery modulates physiological and behavioral responses to neonatal pain.J Perinatol. 2009; 29: 44-50
- Neonatal salivary cortisol in response to heelstick: method modifications enable analysis of low concentrations and small sample volumes.Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2001; 61: 287-291
- Long-term effects of neonatal pain on nociceptive systems.Pain. 2002; 99: 377-383
- Neurobiology of pain in children: an overview.Open Biochem J. 2009; 3: 18-25
- Effect of neonatal circumcision on pain response during subsequent routine vaccination.Lancet. 1997; 349: 599-603
- Cortisol release in infants in resonse to inoculation Child Dev. 1990; 61: 50-59
- Pain in infancy: neonatal reaction to a heel lance.Pain. 1984; 20: 77-86
- Prenatal clucocorticoid exposure leads to offspring hyperglycaemia in the rat: studies with the 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibitor carbenoxolone.Diabetologia. 1996; 39: 1299-1305
- Inhibition of 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in pregnant rats and the programming of blood pressure in the offspring.Hypertension. 1996; 27: 1200-1204
- Dexamethasone in the last week of pregnancy attenuates hippocampal glucocorticoid receptor gene expression and elevates blood pressure in the adult offspring in the rat.Neuroendocrinology. 1996; 64: 412-418
This study was supported in part by the Freiwillige Akademische Gesellschaft Basel, Basel, Switzerland.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Schuller C, Känel N, Müller O, et al. Stress and pain response of neonates after spontaneous birth and vacuum-assisted and cesarean delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;207:415.e1-6.