Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- 2008 Physical activity guidelines for Americans.Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC2008
- Exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period: ACOG committee opinion no. 267.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 99: 171-173
- Athletes and pregnancy.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 46: 403-414
- Fetal wellbeing may be compromised during strenuous exercise among pregnant elite athletes.Br J Sports Med. 2012; 46: 279-283
- Exercise during pregnancy: fetal responses to current public health guidelines.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 603-610
- Vo2 peak prediction and exercise prescription for pregnant women.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006; 38: 1389-1395
- Psychophysical bases of perceived exertion.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1982; 14: 377-381
- On the current status of rated perceived exertion.Percept Mot Skills. 1997; 84: 799-808
- The 2008 National Institute of Child Health and Human Development workshop report on electronic fetal monitoring: update on definitions, interpretation, and research guidelines.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 112: 661-666
- The effect of maternal exercise on fetal umbilical artery waveforms.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1991; 40: 119-122
- Reference ranges for serial measurements of umbilical artery Doppler indices in the second half of pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 192: 937-944
- A new non-invasive method for measuring uterine vascular resistance and its relationship to uterine artery Doppler indices: a longitudinal study.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 37: 538-542
- Recent advances in understanding maternal and fetal responses to exercise.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1993; 25: 1305-1321
- Aerobic exercise in pregnancy: an update.Can J Appl Physiol. 1993; 18: 119-147
- Exercise and pregnancy knowledge among healthcare providers.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2010; 19: 335-341
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period: ACOG technical bulletin no. 189.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1994; 45: 65-70
- Human maternal and fetal response to graded exercise.J Appl Physiol. 1985; 58: 1719-1722
- Fetal heart rate response to sustained recreational exercise.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 168: 198-206
- Fetal heart rate measurement during maternal exercise: avoidance of artifact.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1987; 19: 605-609
- Fetal bradycardia induced by maternal exercise.Lancet. 1984; 2: 258-260
- Fetal heart rate responses to maternal exercise.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1986; 155: 729-733
Supported in part by grant number L30 HD062349-01 from the Clinical Loan Repayment Program, National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (L.M.S.).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Reprints not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Szymanski LM, Satin AJ. Strenuous exercise during pregnancy: is there a limit?. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;207:179.e1-6.