Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- The prevalence of fecal incontinence in community-dwelling adults: a systematic review of the literature.Dis Colon Rectum. 2004; 47: 1341-1349
- A systematic review of etiological factors for postpartum fecal incontinence.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2010; 89: 302-314
- Fecal and urinary incontinence in primiparous women.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 108: 863-872
- Fecal and urinary incontinence after vaginal delivery with anal sphincter disruption in an obstetrics unit in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 1543-1550
- A prospective cohort study of women after primary repair of obstetric anal sphincter laceration.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 181: 1317-1323
- Defecatory symptoms during and after the first pregnancy: prevalences and associated factors.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2006; 17: 224-230
- Pelvic floor dysfunction 6 years post-anal sphincter tear at the time of vaginal delivery.Int Urogynecol J. 2011; 22: 1127-1134
- Women's health 18 years after rupture of the anal sphincter during childbirth: I, fecal incontinence.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 1255-1259
- Natural progression of anal incontinence after childbirth.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009; 20: 1029-1035
- Pelvic floor disorders 5-10 years after vaginal or cesarean childbirth.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 777-784
- Episiotomy: procedure and repair techniques; the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Web site.Accessed: Oct. 21, 2011)
- Epidemiology of prolapse and incontinence questionnaire: validation of a new epidemiologic survey.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2005; 16: 272-284
- Short forms of two condition-specific quality-of-life questionnaires for women with pelvic floor disorders (PFDI-20 and PFIQ-7).Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 193: 103-113
- Pelvic floor disorders after vaginal birth: effect of episiotomy, perineal laceration, and operative birth.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 233-239
- Agreement between maternal report and antenatal records for a range of pre and peri-natal factors: the influence of maternal and child characteristics.Early Hum Dev. 2007; 83: 497-504
- Do mothers remember key events during labor?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 195-200
- Fecal incontinence in US women: a population-based study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 193: 2071-2076
- Epidemiology of fecal incontinence: the silent affliction.Am J Gastroenterol. 1996; 91: 33-36
- Outcomes from medium term follow-up of patients with third and fourth degree perineal tears.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2010; 30: 609-612
Support provided by a grant from the National Institutes of Health ( R01HD056275 ).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Reprints not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Evers EC, Blomquist JL, McDermott KC, et al. Obstetrical anal sphincter laceration and anal incontinence 5-10 years after childbirth. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;207:425.e1-6.