Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Vaginal prostaglandin (PGE2 and PGF2a) for induction of labor at term.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; (CD003101)
- Mechanical methods for induction of labor.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001; (CD001233)
- Foley catheter balloon vs locally applied prostaglandins for cervical ripening and labor induction: a systematic review and metaanalysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 418-429
- Induction of labor: clinical guideline no. 70.National Institute for Clinical Excellence, London2008
- ACOG committee on practice bulletins–obstetrics.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 386-397
- Is transcervical Foley catheter actually slower than prostaglandins in ripening the cervix?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 338.e1-338.e7
- G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav Res Methods. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Cervical ripening before induction of labor in patients with an unfavorable cervix: a comparative randomized study of the Atad Ripener Device, prostaglandin E2 vaginal pessary, and prostaglandin E2 intracervical gel.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 1996; 36: 291-295
- Induction of labor in nulliparous women with an unfavorable cervix: a randomized controlled trial comparing double and single balloon catheters and PGE2 gel.BJOG. 2009; 116: 1443-1452
- WHO recommendations for induction of labor.World Health Organization, Geneva2011
- Women's perceptions, expectations and satisfaction with induced labor–a questionnaire-based study.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2005; 123: 56-61
- Women's expectations and experiences of childbirth.Midwifery. 2001; 17: 302-313
- Patterns of uterine activity after intravaginal prostaglandin E2 during preinduction cervical ripening.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 165: 1006-1010
- Myometrial response to prostaglandins during labor.Gynecol Obstet Invest. 1984; 17: 131-136
- Ripening and dilatation of the unfavorable cervix for induction of labor by a double balloon device: experience with 250 cases.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1997; 104: 29-32
- Single-balloon compared with double-balloon catheters for induction of labor: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 79-86
- Foley catheter versus vaginal prostaglandin E2 gel for induction of labor at term (PROBAAT trial): an open-label, randomized controlled trial.Lancet. 2012; 378: 2095-2103
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Cromi A, Ghezzi F, Uccella S, et al. A randomized trial of preinduction cervical ripening: dinoprostone vaginal insert versus double-balloon catheter. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;207:125.e1-7.