Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- ACOG practice bulletin no. 33: diagnosis and management of preeclampsia and eclampsia.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 99: 159-167
- Maternal death in the 21st century: causes, prevention, and relationship to cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 36.e1-36.e5
- The changing pattern of eclampsia over a 60-year period.BJOG. 1997; 104: 917-922
- Epidemiology of preeclampsia and eclampsia in the United States, 1979-1986.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 163: 460-465
- Factors associated with patient understanding of preeclampsia.Hypertens Pregn. 2010; (Epub ahead of print)
- Is eclampsia preventable?.South Med J. 2004; 97: 440-445
- Instituting surveillance guidelines and adverse outcomes in preeclampsia.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 110: 121-127
- Health literacy and functional health status among older adults.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1946-1952
- Quick assessment of literacy in primary care: the newest vital sign.Ann Fam Med. 2005; 3: 514-522
- Improving pregnancy drug warnings to promote patient comprehension.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 318.e1-318.e5
- Improving prescription drug warnings to promote patient comprehension.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 50-56
- The evaluation of pharmaceutical pictograms in a low-literate South African population.Patient Ed Counsel. 2001; 45: 87-99
- Teaching patients with low literacy skills.2nd ed. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1996
- Designing medication instructions for older adults.in: Park D.C. Morrell R.W. Shifren K. Processing of medical information in aging patients: cognitive and human factors: perspectives. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ1999: 249-266
- The effect of the content and format of prescription drug labels on readability, understanding and medication use: a systematic review.Ann Pharmacother. 2007; 41: 783-801
- Media and memory: the efficacy of video and print materials for promoting patient education about asthma.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 80: 393-398
- Strategies to prevent eclampsia in a developing country: II, use of a maternal pictorial card.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2004; 87: 295-300
Supported by The Preeclampsia Foundation. Research for this project was done while W.B.Y. was a National Research Service Award postdoctoral fellow at the Institute for Healthcare Studies under an institutional award from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (T-32 HS 000078-11).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: You WB, Wolf MS, Bailey SC, et al. Improving patient understanding of preeclampsia: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:431.e1-5.