Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Primigravid labor; a graphicostatistical analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 1955; 6: 567-589
- Labor in multiparas: a graphicostatistical analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 1956; 8: 691-703
- The natural history of the normal first stage of labor.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 705-710
- Contemporary patterns of spontaneous labor with normal neonatal outcomes.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1281-1287
- Contemporary cesarean delivery practice in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 326.e1-326.e10
- Dystocia increases with advancing maternal age.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 760-763
- Maternal prepregnancy overweight and obesity and the pattern of labor progression in term nulliparous women.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 104: 943-951
- Effect of epidural vs parenteral opioid analgesia on the progress of labor: a meta-analysis.JAMA. 1998; 280: 2105-2110
Osmundson SS, Ou-Yang RJ, Grobman WA. Elective induction compared with expectant management in nulliparous women with a favorable cervix. Obstet Gynecol116:601-5.
- The collaborative perinatal study of the National Institute of Neurological Diseases and Stroke: the women and their pregnancies.W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA1972
- The Collaborative Perinatal Project: lessons and legacy.Ann Epidemiol. 2003; 13: 303-311
- Reassessing the labor curve in nulliparous women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 187: 824-828
- ACOG practice bulletin no. 36.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 100: 177-191
- Active phase labor arrest: revisiting the 2-hour minimum.Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 98: 550-554
- Active-phase labor arrest: oxytocin augmentation for at least 4 hours.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 93: 323-328
The data included in this paper were partly obtained from the Consortium on Safe Labor, supported by the Intramural Research Program of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health (contract number HHSN267200603425C). The other institutions in the Consortium on Safe Labor are listed with the Acknowledgments section.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The named authors alone are responsible for the views expressed in this article, which do not necessarily represent the decisions or stated policy of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
Reprints not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Laughon SK, Branch DW, Beaver J, et al. Changes in labor patterns over 50 years. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:419.e1-9.