Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Urinary incontinence in US women: a population-based study.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 537-542
- Association of age, race, and obstetric history with urinary symptoms among women in the Nurses' Health Study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 428-434
- Does urinary incontinence affect middle-aged and older women's time use and activity patterns?.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 104: 1327-1334
- Urinary incontinence and depression in middle-aged United States women.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101: 149-156
- Aging and the problem of urinary incontinence: AHCPR's 1996 clinical practice guidance.Urol Nurs. 1996; 16: 121-122
- Management of urinary incontinence in women: clinical applications.JAMA. 2004; 291: 996-999
- Approaches to urinary incontinence in a rural population: a comparison of physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and family physicians.J Am Board Fam Pract. 1998; 11: 207-215
- Barriers to help seeking in people with urinary symptoms.Fam Pract. 2001; 18: 48-52
- Prevalence of undiagnosed urinary incontinence in women is 53% in the preceding year and 39% in the preceding week in a US managed-care population.Evid Based Nurs. 2010; 13: 79-80
- A qualitative study of the assessment and treatment of incontinence in primary care.Fam Pract. 2007; 24: 461-467
- Practice redesign to improve care for falls and urinary incontinence: primary care intervention for older patients.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 170: 1765-1772
- Managing acute and chronic urinary incontinence: AHCPR Urinary Incontinence in Adults Guideline Update Panel.Am Fam Physician. 1996; 54: 1661-1672
- Assessment and treatment of urinary incontinence: Scientific Committee of the First International Consultation on Incontinence.Lancet. 2000; 355: 2153-2158
- Bladder training for urinary incontinence in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000; (CD001308)
- Drug therapy of urinary urge incontinence: a systematic review.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 100: 1003-1016
- The sensitivity and specificity of a simple test to distinguish between urge and stress urinary incontinence.Ann Intern Med. 2006; 144: 715-723
- Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of flexible-dose fesoterodine in subjects with overactive bladder.Urology. 2009; 75: 62-68
- Once daily controlled versus immediate release oxybutynin chloride for urge urinary incontinence: OROS Oxybutynin Study Group.J Urol. 1999; 161: 1809-1812
- Measurement characteristics of a voiding diary for use by men and women with overactive bladder.Urology. 2003; 61: 802-809
- The validation of the patient perception of bladder condition (PPBC): a single-item global measure for patients with overactive bladder.Eur Urol. 2006; 49: 1079-1086
- Test-retest reliability of four questionnaires for patients with overactive bladder: the overactive bladder questionnaire (OAB-q), patient perception of bladder condition (PPBC), urgency questionnaire (UQ), and the primary OAB symptom questionnaire (POSQ).Neurourol Urodyn. 2005; 24: 215-225
- Validation of the urgency perception scale.BJU Int. 2005; 95: 591-596
- Clinical efficacy, safety, and tolerability of once-daily fesoterodine in subjects with overactive bladder.Eur Urol. 2007; 52: 1204-1212
- Efficacy, safety and tolerability of fesoterodine for overactive bladder syndrome.J Urol. 2007; 178: 2488-2494
- Statistical analysis with missing data.in: Wiley-Interscience, New York1987: 209-214
- Office management of geriatric urinary incontinence.Am J Med. 2007; 120: 211-220
- The utility of post-voiding residual urine volume determination in the initial assessment of incontinent patients.in: Abrams P. Cardozo L. Wein A. Fourth International Consultation on Incontinence. Health Publication Ltd, Paris2008: 338-339
- Management of overactive bladder.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 786-799
- Clinical practice.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 1156-1162
- Comparison of fesoterodine and tolterodine extended release for the treatment of overactive bladder: a head-to-head placebo-controlled trial.BJU Int. 2010; 105: 58-66
Pfizer, Inc, provided funding for the study and the study medication but did not provide other input into the design of the study; collection, analysis, or interpretation of data; writing of the report; or the decision to submit the paper for publication. A.J.H. was additionally supported by grants RR024130 and 1K23AG038335-01A1 from the US National Institutes of Health ; however, the views expressed in this article do not necessarily represent those of the National Institutes of Health. A.J.H. and J.S.B. had full access to all the data in the study and take responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis. No manuscript preparation assistance was provided by the study funders.
A.J.H. has received a University of California San Francisco research grant from Pfizer, Inc , to conduct research related to urinary incontinence. L.A.A. has received a research grant from Pfizer, Inc . H.E.R. has received a research grant and participated in a speaker's bureau for Pfizer, Inc , received a research grant and participated in an advisory board for Astellas , and served as a consultant for Uromedica and GlaxoSmithKline. C.S.B. has served as a consultant for Astellas and for GlaxoSmithKline. S.R.K. has served as a consultant for Pfizer, Inc, and Allergan and has been a course director and teaching faculty member for Laborie. J.S.B. has received research grants related to incontinence through University of California San Francisco from Pfizer, Inc , and Mytrus, Inc . No other authors report any potential conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Huang AJ, Hess R, Arya LA, et al. Pharmacologic treatment for urgency-predominant urinary incontinence in women diagnosed using a simplified algorithm: a randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:444.e1-11.