Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Diabetes mellitus during pregnancy and the risks for specific birth defects: a population-based case-control study.Pedayaitrics. 1990; 85: 1-9
- Maternal diabetes: the risk for specific birth defects.Eur J Epidemiol. 1992; 8: 503-508
- Diabetes mellitus and birth defects.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 237.e1-237.e9
- Ultrastructural analysis of malformations of the embryonic neural axis induced by in vitro hyperglycemic conditions.Teratology. 1985; 32: 363-373
- Arachidonic acid prevents hyperglycemia-associated yolk sac damage and embryopathy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1986; 155: 691-702
- First-trimester hemoglobin A1 and risk for major malformation and spontaneous abortion in diabetic pregnancy.Teratology. 1989; 39: 225-231
- Synchronization of the factors critical for diabetic teratogenesis: an in vitro model.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 174: 1284-1288
- Altered metabolism and superoxide generation in neural tissue of rat embryos exposed to high glucose.Am J Physiol. 1997; 272: E173-E180
- Maternal antioxidant treatments prevent diabetes-induced alterations of mitochondrial morphology in rat embryos.Anat Rec. 1998; 251: 303-315
- Significance of glutathione-dependent antioxidant system in diabetes-induced embryonic malformations.Diabetes. 1999; 48: 1138-1144
- Free radical scavenging enzymes in fetal dysmorphogenesis among offspring of diabetic rats.Teratology. 1997; 56: 343-349
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate ameliorates hyperglycemia-induced embryonic vasculopathy and malformation by inhibition of Foxo3a activation.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 75.e1-75.e6
- Hyperglycemia induces inducible nitric oxide synthase gene expression and consequent nitrosative stress via c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 185.e5-185.e11
- Role of HIF-1alpha in maternal hyperglycemia-induced embryonic vasculopathy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 332.e1-332.e7
- Activation of oxidative stress signaling that is implicated in apoptosis with a mouse model of diabetic embryopathy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 130.e1-130.e17
- Blockade of c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation abrogates hyperglycemia-induced yolk sac vasculopathy in vitro.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 321.e1-321.e17
- Protein kinase Cbeta2 inhibition reduces hyperglycemia-induced neural tube defects through suppression of a caspase 8-triggered apoptotic pathway.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 226.e1-226.e5
- Characterization of differential gene expression profiles in diabetic embryopathy using DNA microarray analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 1075-1080
- Prevention of diabetic embryopathy in offspring of diabetic rats with use of a cocktail of deficient substrates and an antioxidant.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 176: 790-798
- Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acid prevents malformations in offspring of diabetic rats.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 175: 818-823
- Dietary vitamin and lipid therapy rescues aberrant signaling and apoptosis and prevents hyperglycemia-induced diabetic embryopathy in rats.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 580-585
- Prevention of diabetes-associated embryopathy by overexpression of the free radical scavenger copper zinc superoxide dismutase in transgenic mouse embryos.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 173: 1036-1041
- Activation of the hexosamine pathway causes oxidative stress and abnormal embryo gene expression: involvement in diabetic teratogenesis.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2004; 70: 519-527
- Hypoxic stress in diabetic pregnancy contributes to impaired embryo gene expression and defective development by inducing oxidative stress.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 289: E591-E599
- Neural tube defect genes and maternal diabetes during pregnancy.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2010; 88: 601-611
- Prevention of neural tube defects by loss of function of inducible nitric oxide synthase in fetuses of a mouse model of streptozotocin-induced diabetes.Diabetologia. 2009; 52: 962-971
- Involvement of c-Jun N-terminal kinases activation in diabetic embryopathy.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2007; 357: 749-754
- Nitric oxide modulates murine yolk sac vasculogenesis and rescues glucose induced vasculopathy.Development. 2004; 131: 2485-2496
- Transgenic mice overproducing human thioredoxin-1, an antioxidative and anti-apoptotic protein, prevents diabetic embryopathy.Diabetologia. 2010; 53: 2046-2055
- SOD1 overexpression in vivo blocks hyperglycemia-induced specific PKC isoforms: substrate activation and consequent lipid peroxidation in diabetic embryopathy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: e1-e6
- Caspase-8: a key role in the pathogenesis of diabetic embryopathy.Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol. 2009; 86: 72-77
- Teratogenic effect of diabetic serum is prevented by supplementation of superoxide dismutase and N-acetylcysteine in rat embryo culture.Diabetologia. 1997; 40: 7-14
- Supplementation with vitamins C and E during pregnancy for the prevention of preeclampsia and other adverse maternal and perinatal outcomes: a systematic review and metaanalysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 503.e1-503.e12
- Lack of periconceptional vitamins or supplements that contain folic acid and diabetes mellitus-associated birth defects.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 206: 218.e1-218.e13
- Obesity and pregnancy: clinical management of the obese gravida.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 106-119
- Is it time to revisit the Pedersen hypothesis in the face of the obesity epidemic?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 479-487
- Body mass index and weight gain prior to pregnancy and risk of gestational diabetes mellitus.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 409.e1-409.e7
- Weight gain in pregnancy and risk of maternal hyperglycemia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 201: 61.e1-61.e7
- Fetal and perinatal outcomes in type 1 diabetes pregnancy: a randomized study comparing insulin aspart with human insulin in 322 subjects.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: e1-e7
- The clinical content of preconception care: women with chronic medical conditions.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: S310-S327
Supported by National Institutes of Health R01 DK083243 (Dr Yang) and R01 DK083770 (Dr Reece).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Reprints not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Weng H, Li X, Reece EA, et al. SOD1 suppresses maternal hyperglycemia-increased iNOS expression and consequent nitrosative stress in diabetic embryopathy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:448.e1-7.