Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Surgical management of pelvic organ prolapse in women: the updated summary version Cochrane review.Int Urogynecol J. 2011; 22: 1445-1457
- Lifetime risk of undergoing surgery for pelvic organ prolapse.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1096-1100
- The prevalence and factors associated with previous surgery for pelvic organ prolapse and/or urinary incontinence in a cross-sectional study in The Netherlands.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011; 158: 343-349
- Anterior colporrhaphy versus transvaginal mesh for pelvic-organ prolapse.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1826-1836
- Anterior colporrhaphy: a randomized trial of three surgical techniques.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 185 (discussion 1304-6): 1299-1304
- A randomized comparison of polypropylene mesh surgery with site-specific surgery in the treatment of cystocoele.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2008; 19: 467-471
- Outcome after anterior vaginal prolapse repair: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 891-898
- Trocar-guided mesh compared with conventional vaginal repair in recurrent prolapse: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 242-250
- Midline fascial plication under continuous digital transrectal control: which factors determine anatomic outcome?.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2010; 21: 623-630
- The standardization of terminology for researchers in female pelvic floor disorders.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2001; 12: 178-186
- The standardization of terminology of female pelvic organ prolapse and pelvic floor dysfunction.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 175: 10-17
- Defining success after surgery for pelvic organ prolapse.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 600-609
- Correlation of symptoms with degree of pelvic organ support in a general population of women: what is pelvic organ prolapse?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189 (discussion 377-9): 372-377
- Does trocar-guided tension-free vaginal mesh (Prolift) repair provoke prolapse of the unaffected compartments?.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2010; 21: 271-278
- Clinical evaluation of anterior vaginal wall support defects: interexaminer and intraexaminer reliability.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 191: 100-104
- Identification of risk factors for genital prolapse recurrence.Neurourol Urodyn. 2009; 28: 301-304
- Transvaginal repair of genital prolapse: preliminary results of a new tension-free vaginal mesh (Prolift technique)—a case series multicentric study.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007; 18: 743-752
- Transvaginal mesh technique for pelvic organ prolapse repair: mesh exposure management and risk factors.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2006; 17: 315-320
- Which factors influenced the result of a tension free vaginal tape operation in a single teaching hospital?.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2007; 86: 1136-1139
- Trocar-guided mesh repair of vaginal prolapse using partially absorbable mesh: 1 year outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 74.e1-74.e8
- Measuring health-related quality of life in women with urogenital dysfunction: the urogenital distress inventory and incontinence impact questionnaire revisited.Neurourol Urodyn. 2003; 22: 97-104
- One-year anatomic and quality-of-life outcomes after the Prolift procedure for treatment of posthysterectomy prolapse.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 694.e1-694.e6
- Trocar-guided total tension-free vaginal mesh repair of post-hysterectomy vaginal vault prolapse.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009; 20: 1203-1211
- A simulation study of the number of events per variable in logistic regression analysis.J Clin Epidemiol. 1996; 49: 1373-1379
- Outcome assessment with blinded versus unblinded POP-Q exams.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: 489.e1-489.e4
- Reanalysis of a randomized trial of 3 techniques of anterior colporrhaphy using clinically relevant definitions of success.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: 69.e1-69.e8
- Pelvic Organ Support Study (POSST): the distribution, clinical definition, and epidemiologic condition of pelvic organ support defects.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 192: 795-806
- Distribution of pelvic organ support measures in a population-based sample of middle-aged, community-dwelling African American and white women in southeastern Michigan.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 548.e1-548.e6
- The prevalence of pelvic organ prolapse symptoms and signs and their relation with bladder and bowel disorders in a general female population.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009; 20: 1037-1045
- Surgical intervention after transvaginal Prolift mesh repair: retrospective single-center study including 524 patients with 3 years' median follow-up.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 206: 83.e1-83.e7
- Development of the novo prolapse in untreated vaginal compartments after prolapse repair with and without mesh: a secondary analysis of a randomized controlled trial.BJOG. 2012; 119: 354-360
- The role of apical vaginal support in the appearance of anterior and posterior vaginal prolapse.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 152-157
- The effectiveness of the sacrospinous hysteropexy for the primary treatment of uterovaginal prolapse.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007; 18: 1271-1276
- Anterior vaginal mesh sacrospinous hysteropexy and posterior fascial plication for anterior compartment dominated uterovaginal prolapse.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2010; 21: 203-208
- Supracervical robotic-assisted laparoscopic sacrocolpopexy for pelvic organ prolapse.JSLS. 2010; 14: 525-530
- Trocar-guided transvaginal mesh repair of pelvic organ prolapse.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 113: 117-126
- Safety of trans vaginal mesh procedure: retrospective study of 684 patients.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2008; 34: 449-456
- Risk factors for exposure, pain, and dyspareunia after tension-free vaginal mesh procedure.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 629-636
- Medical devices.Accessed Sept. 1, 2011)
This study was entirely instigated by the responsible researchers and funded by university-administered research funds. Ethicon Women's Health and Urology was not involved in study setup or design, data collection, or other aspects of the study.
A.L.M. and M.I.J.W. are on the speaker's bureau of Ethicon Women's Health and Urology , with which A.L.M. has a consultancy agreement and from which M.I.J.W. and M.E.V. received an unrestricted educational grant in 2005.
The first 2 authors contributed equally to the study and manuscript.
Other participating centers are acknowledged in the Acknowledgments.
Cite this article as: Milani AL, Withagen MIJ, Vierhout ME. Outcomes and predictors of failure of trocar-guided vaginal mesh surgery for pelvic organ prolapse. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:440.e1-8.