Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Maternal age and fetal loss: population based register linkage study.BMJ. 2000; 320: 1708-1712
- Management of spontaneous miscarriage in the first trimester: an example of putting informed shared decision making into practice.BMJ. 2001; 322: 1343-1346
- Randomised trial comparing expectant with medical management for first trimester miscarriages.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1999; 106: 804-807
- Management of first trimester spontaneous abortions.BMJ. 1995; 310: 1426
- A randomised trial of surgical, medical and expectant management of first trimester spontaneous miscarriage.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005; 45: 122-127
- Medical management of early fetal demise using a combination of mifepristone and misoprostol.Hum Reprod. 2001; 16: 1849-1853
- Management of miscarriage: expectant, medical, or surgical?.BMJ. 2006; 332: 1235-1240
- Mifepristone and misoprostol for early pregnancy failure: a cohort analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 386.e1-386.e6
- Expectant, medical, or surgical management of first-trimester miscarriage: a meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 1104-1113
- Expectant care versus surgical treatment for miscarriage.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; (CD003518)
- Economic evaluation of alternative management methods of first-trimester miscarriage based on results from the MIST trial.BJOG. 2006; 113: 879-889
- Incidence of pregnancy after expectant, medical, or surgical management of spontaneous first trimester miscarriage: long term follow-up of miscarriage treatment (MIST) randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2009; 339: b3827
- Randomised clinical trial of medical evacuation and surgical curettage for incomplete miscarriage.BMJ. 1995; 311: 662
- Management of missed abortion: comparison of medical treatment with either mifepristone + misoprostol or misoprostol alone with surgical evacuation: a multi-center trial in Copenhagen county, Denmark.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2002; 81: 1060-1065
- Bereavement, grieving and psychological morbidity after first trimester spontaneous abortion: comparing expectant management with surgical evacuation.Hum Reprod. 1996; 11: 1767-1770
- Misoprostol versus curettage in women with early pregnancy failure after initial expectant management: a randomized trial.Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 1894-1899
- A randomised double blind trial comparing misoprostol or placebo in the management of early miscarriage.BJOG. 2005; 112: 1090-1095
- Expectant management versus surgical evacuation in first trimester miscarriage: health-related quality of life in randomized and non-randomized patients.Hum Reprod. 2002; 17: 1638-1642
- A randomized controlled trial comparing medical and expectant management of first trimester miscarriage.Hum Reprod. 2004; 19: 266-271
- Ultrasonographic endometrial thickness after medical and surgical management of early pregnancy failure.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 106-112
- Mifepristone (RU 486) induces embryo expulsion in first trimester non-developing pregnancies: a prospective randomized trial.Hum Reprod. 1993; 8: 492-495
- Outcome of expectant management of spontaneous first trimester miscarriage: observational study.BMJ. 2002; 324: 873-875
- Management of miscarriage: a randomized controlled trial of expectant management versus surgical evacuation.Hum Reprod. 2002; 17: 2445-2450
- Expectant management of missed miscarriage.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1998; 105: 670-671
- The management of early pregnancy loss.Accessed Feb. 21, 2011)
- Women's preferences for attributes of first-trimester miscarriage management: a stated preference discrete-choice experiment.Value Health. 2009; 12: 551-559
- Influence of clinical and ultrasound factors on the efficacy of misoprostol in first trimester pregnancy failure.Fertil Steril. 2005; 84: 1030-1032
- Factors related to successful misoprostol treatment for early pregnancy failure.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 107: 901-907
- Early pregnancy failure: factors affecting successful medical treatment.Isr Med Assoc J. 2010; 12: 325-328
Funding was provided by Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris.
Trial registration number: ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00190294.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Reprints not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Torre A, Huchon C, Bussieres L, et al. Immediate versus delayed medical treatment for first-trimester miscarriage: a randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:215.e1-6.