Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Compliance and user satisfaction with the intra-uterine contraceptive device in Family Planning Service: the results of a survey in Fife, Scotland, August 2004.Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2006; 11: 28-37
- Bleeding patterns and clinical performance of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system (Mirena) up to two years.Contraception. 2002; 65: 129-132
- Levonorgestrel-releasing and copper-releasing (Nova T) IUDs during five years of use: a randomized comparative trial.Contraception. 1994; 49: 56-72
- A Latin American experience with levonorgestrel IUD.Ann Med. 1993; 25: 149-153
- Return to fertility after removal of a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine device and Nova-T.Contraception. 1992; 46: 575-584
- Treatment of vaginal bleeding irregularities induced by progestin only contraceptives (review).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; (CD003449)
- The effect of mefenamic acid on controlling irregular uterine bleeding secondary to Norplant use.Contraception. 1999; 60: 25-30
- Effect of mefenamic acid on controlling irregular uterine bleeding in DMPA users.Contraception. 2004; 70: 277-279
- Oestrogen treatment for increased bleeding in Norplant users: preliminary results.Hum Reprod. 1996; 11: 109-114
- Clinical assessment of treatments for prolonged bleeding in users of Norplant implants.Contraception. 1990; 42: 97-109
- The effect of transdermal oestradiol on bleeding pattern, hormonal profiles and sex steroid receptor distribution in the endometrium of Norplant users.Hum Reprod. 1996; 11: 115-123
- Clinical evaluation of the therapeutic effectiveness of ethinyl oestradiol and oestrone sulphate on prolonged bleeding in women using depot medroxyprogesterone acetate for contraception.Hum Reprod. 1996; 11: 1-13
- Post-abortion depot medroxyprogesterone acetate continuation rates: a randomized trial of cyclic estradiol.Contraception. 2002; 66: 215-220
- Vaginal estrogen supplementation during Depo-Provera initiation: a randomized controlled trial.Contraception. 2010; 82: 250-255
- The Contraceptive CHOICE Project: reducing barriers to long-acting reversible contraception.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 115.e1-115.e7
- Recommendations for standardization of data collection and analysis of bleeding in combined hormone contraceptive trials.Contraception. 2007; 75: 11-15
- Regression models for categorical dependent variables using stata.second edition. Stata Press, College Station, TX2006
- Detailed analysis of menstrual bleeding patterns after postmenstrual and postabortal insertion of a copper IUD or a levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system.Contraception. 1996; 54: 201-208
- Morphological and functional changes in human endometrium following intrauterine levonorgestrel delivery.Hum Reprod. 2000; 15: 162-172
- Endometrial effects of intrauterine levonorgestrel.Contraception. 2007; 75: S93-S98
- Bleeding arising from the use of exogenous steroids.Baillieres Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 1999; 13: 203-222
Funded by an American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists/Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals Research Award in Contraception; award number K12HD001459 from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development (T.M.); award number 5T35HL007815-15 from the National Institutes of Health (NIH); a Midcareer Investigator Award in Women's Health Research ( K24 HD01298 ); and award number KL2RR024994 from the National Center for Research Resources , which is a component of the NIH and NIH Roadmap for Medical Research.
T.M. is a speaker for Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals' Mirena Speakers Bureau. The other authors report no conflicts of interest.
The contents of this article are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official view of the National Institute of Child Health & Human Development, the National Center for Research Resources, or the National Institutes of Health. Information on National Center for Research Resources is available at http://www.ncrr.nih.gov/. Information on Re-engineering the Clinical Research Enterprise can be obtained from http://nihroadmap.nih.gov/clinicalresearch/overview-translational.asp.
Reprints will not be available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Madden T, Proehl S, Allsworth JE, et al. Naproxen or estradiol for bleeding and spotting with the levonorgestrel intrauterine system: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:129.e1-8.