Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Contraceptive use among postpartum women: 12 states and New York City, 2004-2006.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009; 58: 821-826
- US medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use, 2010: adapted from the World Health Organization medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use, 4th ed.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2010; 59: 1-86
- Contraceptive failure in the United States.Contraception. 2011; 83: 397-404
- Intrauterine device insertion during the postpartum period: a systematic review.Contraception. 2009; 80: 327-336
- Postplacental or delayed insertion of the levonorgestrel intrauterine device after vaginal delivery: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1079-1087
- Immediate post-partum insertion of intrauterine devices.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 5
- Use of contraception in the United States: 1982-2008.Vital Health Stat. 2010; 29 (23): 1-44
- Tubal sterilization in the United States, 1994-1996.Fam Plann Perspect. 2001; 33: 161-165
- Tubal sterilization trends in the United States.Fertil Steril. 2010; 94: 1-6
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP).Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD2001-2008Accessed July 28, 2010)
- American Hospital Association (AHA) Hospital Statistics.in: Health Forum LLC, an affiliate of the American Hospital Association, Chicago, IL1995: 6-2001
- Practice bulletin no. 121: long-acting reversible contraception: implants and intrauterine devices.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 184-196
- Postpartum sterilization in cesarean section and non-cesarean section deliveries: United States, 1970-75.Am J Public Health. 1981; 71: 1258-1261
- Poststerilization regret: findings from the United States Collaborative Review of Sterilization.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 93: 889-895
- Regret following female sterilization at a young age: a systematic review.Contraception. 2006; 73: 205-210
- Barriers to intrauterine device insertion in postpartum women.Contraception. 2005; 72: 426-429
- Failure to obtain desired postpartum sterilization: risk and predictors.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 794-799
- Race, insurance status, and tubal sterilization.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 94-100
- State Medicaid family planning eligibility expansions.Sept. 1, 2010
- Accuracy of obstetric diagnoses and procedures in hospital discharge data.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 992-1001
- Cost effectiveness of contraceptives in the United States.Contraception. 2009; 79: 5-14
- Challenges in translating evidence to practice: the provision of intrauterine contraception.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111 (1359-6)
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Reprints not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Whiteman MK, Cox S, Tepper NK, et al. Postpartum intrauterine device insertion and postpartum tubal sterilization in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:127.e1-7.