Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Vitamin D deficiency and rickets.J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 19: 203
- Circulating vitamin D3 and 25-hydroxyvitamin D in humans: an important tool to define adequate nutritional vitamin D status.J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2007; 103: 631-634
- Circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels indicative of vitamin D sufficiency: implications for establishing a new effective dietary intake recommendation for vitamin D.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 317-322
- Vitamin D inadequacy in pregnancy: biology, outcomes, and interventions.Nutr Rev. 2010; 68: 465-477
- Vitamin D effects on pregnancy and the placenta.Placenta. 2010; 31: 1027-1034
- Vitamin D deficiency and insufficiency is common during pregnancy.Am J Perinatol. 2011; 28: 7-12
- Plasma 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels in early-onset severe preeclampsia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 366.e1-366.e6
- Maternal vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of preeclampsia.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 3517-3522
- Vitamin D supplementation and reduced risk of preeclampsia in nulliparous women.Epidemiology. 2009; 20: 720-726
- Prevention of premature birth.N Engl J Med. 1998; 339: 313-320
- Long term mortality of mothers and fathers after pre-eclampsia: population based cohort study.BMJ. 2001; 323: 1213-1217
- Subclassification of preeclampsia.Hypertens Pregnancy. 2003; 22: 143-148
- ACOG practice bulletin no. 33: diagnosis and management of preeclampsia and eclampsia.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 99: 159-167
- A United States national reference for fetal growth.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 87: 163-168
- Prevention of preeclampsia and intrauterine growth restriction with aspirin started in early pregnancy: a meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 402-414
- Sildenafil citrate treatment enhances amino acid availability in the conceptus and fetal growth in an ovine model of intrauterine growth restriction.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 251-258
- Smoking and smoking cessation during early pregnancy and its effect on adverse pregnancy outcomes and fetal growth.Eur J Pediatr. 2010; 169: 741-748
- Metabolism of vitamin D3 in the placental tissue of normal and preeclampsia complicated pregnancies and premature births.Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 34: 80-84
- Calcitriol inhibits TNF-alpha-induced inflammatory cytokines in human trophoblasts.J Reprod Immunol. 2009; 81: 17-24
- Placenta-specific methylation of the vitamin D 24-hydroxylase gene: implications for feedback autoregulation of active vitamin D levels at the fetomaternal interface.J Biol Chem. 2009; 284: 14838-14848
- Preeclampsia is associated with low circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor I and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D in maternal and umbilical cord compartments.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 1828-1833
- Expression and activity of 25-hydroxyvitamin D-1 alpha-hydroxylase are restricted in cultures of human syncytiotrophoblast cells from preeclamptic pregnancies.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002; 87: 3876-3882
- The role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in renal pathophysiology.Kidney Int. 2004; 65: 2003-2017
- 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 stimulates vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation through a VEGF-mediated pathway.Kidney Int. 2006; 69: 1377-1384
- 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 regulates VEGF production through a vitamin D response element in the VEGF promoter.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 204: 85-89
- Preeclampsia: recent insights.Hypertension. 2005; 46: 1243-1249
- First trimester vitamin D, vitamin D binding protein, and subsequent preeclampsia.Hypertension. 2010; 56: 758-763
Supported by the Clinical and Translational Science K12 Award, Medical University of South Carolina, and the Greenlee Preeclampsia Research Fund.
Reprints not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Robinson CJ, Wagner CL, Hollis BW, et al. Maternal vitamin D and fetal growth in early-onset severe preeclampsia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2011;204:556.e1-4.