Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Oral contraceptives and libido in women.Annu Rev Sex Res. 2004; 15: 297-320
- Hormonal contraception and sexual desire: a critical review.J Sex Marital Ther. 2006; 32: 305-314
- A prospective study of the effects of oral contraceptives on sexuality and well-being and their relationship to discontinuation.Contraception. 2001; 64: 51-58
- The clinical use of androgens in female sexual disorders.J Sex Marital Ther. 1998; 24: 153-163
- Impact of oral contraceptives on sex hormone-binding globulin and androgen levels: a retrospective study in women with sexual dysfunction.J Sex Med. 2006; 3: 104-113
- Testosterone and sexual behavior in oral contraceptive users and non-users: a prospective study.Horm Behav. 1990; 24: 388-402
- Pilot study assessing the impact of hormonal contraceptives on serum testosterone levels and sexual function in pre-menopausal women.Fertil Steril. 2004; 82: S78-S79
- Female androgen insufficiency: the Princeton consensus statement on definition, classification, and assessment.Fertil Steril. 2002; 77: 660-665
- Plasma levels of medroxyprogesterone acetate, sex-hormone binding globulin, gonadal steroids, gonadotrophins and prolactin in women during long-term use of depo-MPA (Depo-Provera) as a contraceptive agent.Acta Endocrinol. 1982; 99 (Copenh): 339-343
- Impact of common contraceptive methods on quality of life and sexual function in Hong Kong Chinese women.Contraception. 2004; 70: 474-482
- Physical findings and symptoms of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate use in adolescent females.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 1997; 10: 18-23
- The Female Sexual Function Index: a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function.J Sex Marital Ther. 2000; 26: 191-208
- The Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI) and the Female Sexual Distress Scale (FSDS): psychometric properties within a Dutch population.J Sex Marital Ther. 2006; 32: 289-304
- The Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI): cross-validation and development of clinical cutoff scores.J Sex Marital Ther. 2005; 31: 1-20
- Circulating androgen levels and self-reported sexual function in women.JAMA. 2005; 294: 91-96
- Androgen status in healthy premenopausal women with loss of libido.J Sex Marital Ther. 2005; 31: 73-80
- The effects of oral contraceptives on androgen levels and their relevance to premenstrual mood and sexual interest: a comparison of two triphasic formulations containing norgestimate and either 35 or 25 μg of ethinyl estradiol.Contraception. 2007; 76: 8-17
- Depot medroxyprogesterone acetate: patterns of use and reasons for discontinuation.Contraception. 1997; 56: 209-214
- Depomedroxyprogesterone-induced hypoestrogenism and changes in vaginal flora and epithelium.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 96: 431-439
- The effects of steroidal contraceptives on the well-being and sexuality of women: a double-blind, placebo-controlled two-center study of combined and progestogen-only methods.Contraception. 1995; 52: 363-369
- Evaluating sexual dysfunction in women.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 40: 616-629
- Sexual function and dysfunction in women.Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2003; 26: 673-682
Funded with a grant from Perinatal Resources Inc .
Cite this article as: Schaffir JA, Isley MM, Woodward M. Oral contraceptives vs injectable progestin in their effect on sexual behavior. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010;203:545.e1-5.