Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Interstitial cystitis: report of 223 cases (204 women and 19 men).J Urol. 1949; 61: 291-310
- The relationship of common medical conditions and medication use with symptoms of painful bladder syndrome: results from the Boston Area Community Health Survey.J Urol. 2008; 180: 593-598
- Dilemmas in diagnosing pelvic pain: multiple pelvic surgeries common in women with interstitial cystitis.Int Urogynecol J. 2008; 19: 341-345
- The effects of simple hysterectomy on vesicourethral function.Br J Urol. 1989; 64: 594-599
- Antecedent nonbladder syndromes in case-control study of interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome.Urology. 2009; 73: 52-57
- Chronic pelvic pain: prevalence, health-related quality of life, and economic correlates.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 87: 321-327
- Sites of pain from interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome.J Urol. 2008; 180: 1373-1377
- Pelvic pain phenotyping: the key to progress.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 113: 258-259
- Adhesions in patients with chronic pelvic pain: a role for adhesiolysis?.Fertil Steril. 2004; 82: 1483-1491
- The relationship between laparoscopic disease, pelvic pain and infertility; an unbiased assessment.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1997; 74: 57-62
- Long-term follow-up of a controlled trial of laser laparoscopy for pelvic pain.JSLS. 2001; 5: 111-115
- A randomized clinical trial on the benefit of adhesiolysis in patients with intraperitoneal adhesions and chronic pelvic pain.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1992; 99: 59-62
- Return of chronic pelvic pain from endometriosis after raloxifene treatment: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 88-96
- Effectiveness of hysterectomy.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 95: 319-326
- The effectiveness of hysterectomy for chronic pelvic pain.Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 86: 941-945
- Conscious pain mapping by laparoscopy in women with chronic pelvic pain.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 96: 934-939
- Office microlaparoscopy under local anesthesia for chronic pelvic pain.J Am Assoc Gynecol Laparosc. 1996; 3: 359-364
- Mechanisms of referred visceral pain: uterine inflammation in the adult virgin rat results in neurogenic plasma extravasation in the skin.Pain. 1997; 73: 309-317
- The pains of endometriosis.Science. 2005; 308: 1587-1589
- Modulation of pain and hyperalgesia from the urinary tract by algogenic conditions of the reproductive organs in women.Neurosci Lett. 2001; 304: 61-64
- Chronic pain and fatigue syndromes: overlapping clinical and neuroendocrine features and potential pathogenic mechanisms.Neuroimmunomodulation. 1997; 4: 134-153
- Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy in the evaluation of cerebral metabolism in patients with fibromyalgia: comparison with healthy controls and correlation with symptom severity.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008; 29: 913-918
- A prospective, longitudinal, multicenter study of service utilization and costs in fibromyalgia.Arthritis Rheum. 1997; 40: 1560-1570
- The relationship between fibromyalgia and interstitial cystitis.J Psychiatr Res. 1997; 31: 125-131
- Psychophysical evidence of hypersensitivity in subjects with interstitial cystitis.J Urol. 2005; 173: 1983-1987
- Visceral and cutaneous sensory testing in patients with painful bladder syndrome.Neurourol Urodyn. 2005; 24: 627-632
- Prevalence of painful bladder symptoms and effect on quality of life in black, Hispanic and white men and women.J Urol. 2007; 177: 1390-1394
- Validation of self-reported history of hysterectomy and oophorectomy among women in an integrated group practice setting.Menopause. 2009; 16: 576-581
Reprints not available from the authors.
This study was supported in part by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health , Grant R01 DK 064880 .
Cite this article as: Langenberg PW, Wallach EE, Clauw DJ, et al. Pelvic pain and surgeries in women before interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2010;202:286.e1-6.