Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Latest advances in understanding pre-eclampsia.Science. 2005; 308: 1592-1594
- Circulating angiogenic factors and the risk of pre-eclampsia.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 672-683
- Maternal vascular prostacyclin activity in pre-eclampsia.Lancet. 1980; 2: 702
- Differential inhibition of prostacyclin production and platelet aggregation by aspirin.Lancet. 1979; 2: 1213-1217
- The relationship between calcium intake and edema, proteinuria, and hypertension-gestosis: a hypothesis.Am J Clin Nutr. 1980; 33: 2202-2210
- The relationship between calcium intake and pregnancy-induced hypertension: up-to-date evidence.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1988; 1598: 898-902
- Prevention of pre-eclampsia in women with renal disease: a prospective randomized trial of heparin and dipyridamole.Nephrology. 1995; 1: 297-300
- CLASP: a randomized trial of low-dose aspirin for the prevention and treatment of pre-eclampsia among 9364 pregnant women.Lancet. 1994; 343: 619-629
- Supplementary calcium in prevention of pre-eclampsia.Int J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 74: 17-21
- World Health Organization randomized trial of calcium supplementation among low calcium intake pregnant women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 639-649
- Prevention of pre-eclampsia with low-dose aspirin in healthy, nulliparous pregnant women.N Engl J Med. 1993; 329: 1213-1218
- Low-dose aspirin to prevent pre-eclampsia in women at high risk.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 701-705
- A randomized trial of low dose aspirin for primiparae in pregnancy.BJOG. 1998; 105: 293-299
- Barbados low dose aspiring study in pregnancy (BLASP): a randomized trial for the prevention of pre-eclampsia and its complications.BJOG. 1998; 105: 286-292
- Antiplatelet agents for prevention of pre-eclampsia: a meta-analysis of individual patient data.Lancet. 2007; 369: 1791-1798
- Antiplatelet agents for prevention of pre-eclampsia and its complications.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; (CD004659)
- Trial of calcium to prevent pre-eclampsia.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 69-76
- Calcium supplementation during pregnancy for preventing hypertensive disorders and related problems.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; (CD001059)
- Publication bias in clinical research.Lancet. 1991; 337: 867-872
- Higgins J.P.T. Green S. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions, version 5.0.0 (updated February 2008): the Cochrane collaboration. 2008 (Available at: www.cochrane-handbook.org. Accessed Aug. 1, 2008.)
- Practical methodology of meta-analysis using updated individual patient data.Stat Med. 1995; 14: 2057-2079
- Meta-analysis of individual patient data from randomized trials: a review of methods used in practice.Clin Trial. 2005; 2: 209-217
- Empirical estimates of bias: dimensions of methodological quality associated with estimates of treatment effects in controlled trials.JAMA. 1995; 273: 408-412
- Improving the quality of reports of meta-analyses of randomized controlled trials: the QUOROM statement.Lancet. 1999; 354: 1896-1900
- Discrepancies between meta-analysis and subsequent large randomized, controlled trials.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 536-542
This research was supported in part by the Intramural Research Program of the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health.
Authorship and contribution to the manuscript is limited to the 4 authors indicated. There was no outside funding or technical assistance with the production of this article.
Cite this article as: Scifres CM, Iams JD, Klebanoff M, Macones GA. Metaanalysis vs large clinical trials: which should guide our management? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;200:484.e1-484.e5.
Reprints not available from the authors.