Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai, Uganda: a randomized trial.Lancet. 2007; 369: 657-666
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in young men in Kisumu, Kenya: a randomized controlled trial.Lancet. 2007; 369: 643-656
- Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: the ANRS 1265 Trial.PLoS Med. 2005; 2 (Erratum in: PLoS Med 2006;3:e298): e298
- New Data on male circumcision and HIV prevention: policy and programme implications. Conclusions and recommendations. WHO/UNAIDS Technical Consultation, Montreux, March 6-8, 2007.in: World Health Organization/United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, Geneva (Switzerland)2007: 1-19
- Male circumcision and risk of HIV-1 and other sexually transmitted infections in India.Lancet. 2004; 363: 1039-1040
- Male circumcision and the risk of sexually transmitted infections and HIV in Rakai, Uganda.AIDS. 2004; 18: 2428-2430
Bailey RC. Scaling up circumcision programmes: The road from evidence to practice. Prsented as the Plenary Talk, 4th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Sydney, Australia, July 24, 2007.
Gray RH, Wawer M, Serwadda D, et al. Male circumcision and the risks of female HIV and sexually transmitted infections acquisition in Rakai, Uganda. Presented at the 13th CROI Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infection, Denver CO, 2006.
- Bacterial vaginosis is not associated with circumcision of the current male partner.Sex Transm Infect. 1999; 75: 347-348
- Risk factors for bacterial vaginosis in women at high risk for sexually transmitted diseases.Sex Transm Dis. 2005; 32: 654-658
- Reliability of diagnosing bacterial vaginosis is improved by a standardized method of gram stain interpretation.J Clin Microbiol. 1991; 29: 297-301
Thoma M, Gray RH. Male circumcision and genital ulcer disease: a meta-analysis. Presented at the 17th International Society for Sexually Transmitted Disease Research, Seattle, 2007 (Abstract 542).
- Male circumcision and risk of syphilis, chancroid, and genital herpes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sex Transm Infect. 2006; 82: 101-109
- Association between HIV and subpreputial penile wetness in uncircumcised men in South Africa.J AIDS. 2006; 43: 69-77
- Human immunodeficiency virus acquisition associated with genital ulcer disease and herpes simplex virus type 2 infection: a nested case-control study in Rakai, Uganda.J Infect Dis. 2003; 188: 1492-1497
- Bacterial vaginosis and disturbances of vaginal flora: association with increased acquisition of HIV.AIDS. 1998; 12: 1699-1706
- Vaginal lactobacilli, microbial flora and risk of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 and sexually transmitted disease acquisition.J Infect Dis. 1999; 180: 1863-1868
- HIV-1 infection associated with abnormal vaginal flora morphology and bacterial vaginosis.Lancet. 1997; 350: 546-550
- Male circumcision and HIV acquisition and transmission: cohort studies in Rakai, Uganda.Rakai Project Team. AIDS. 2000; 14: 2371-2381
- Sexual behavior, sexually transmitted diseases, male circumcision and risk of HIV infection among women in Nairobi, Kenya.AIDS. 2000; 8: 93-99
- Pattern of sexually transmitted diseases and risk factors among women attending an STD referral clinic in Nairobi, Kenya.Sex Transm Dis. 2000; 27: 417-423
Cite this article as: Gray RH, Kigozi G, Serwadda D, et al. The effects of male circumcision on female partners' genital tract symptoms and vaginal infections in a randomized trial in Rakai, Uganda. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;200:42.e1-42.e7.
This study was supported in part by Grants (U01 AI11171-01-02) from the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Division of AIDS, National Institutes of Health (NIH), and Grants 2228 and 220062228 from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The laboratory component was supported in part by the Division of Intramural Research, NIAID, NIH. This publication was supported, in part, by fellowships/grants from the Fogarty International Center/NIH Grant 2 D 43 TW000010-19-AITRP and 5D43TW001508.