Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Maternal mortality in 2000: estimates developed by WHO, UNICEF and UNFPA. WHO Press, Geneva2004
- WHO analysis of causes of maternal death: a systematic review.Lancet. 2006; 367: 1066-1074
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS: 2004 report on the global AIDS epidemic: 4th global report. WHO Press, Geneva2004
- Zambia demographic and health survey 2001-2002. Central Statistical Office, Central Board of Health, and ORC Macro, Calverton (MD)2003
- Strategic approaches to the prevention of HIV infection in infants: report of a WHO meeting, Morges, Switzerland, 20-22 March 2002. WHO Press, Geneva2002
- Intrauterine devices: mechanisms of action, safety, and efficacy.Contraception. 1998; 58: 45S-53S
- Compelling reasons for recommending IUDs to any woman of reproductive age.Int J Fertil Womens Med. 2002; 47: 87-95
- World Health Organization’s second edition of improving access to quality care in family planning: medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use. WHO Press, Geneva2000
- Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV in Africa: successes and challenges in scaling-up a nevirapine-based program in Lusaka, Zambia.AIDS. 2003; 17: 1377-1382
- Guidelines for the management of sexually transmitted infections. WHO press, Geneva2003
- Rapid scale-up of antiretroviral therapy at primary care sites in Zambia: feasibility and early outcomes.JAMA. 2006; 296: 782-793
- Criteria for diagnosis and grading of salpingitis.Obstet Gynecol. 1983; 61: 113-114
- Postpartum contraception and lactation.in: Hatcher R.A. Trussel J. Stewart F. Contraceptive technology. 18 ed. Ardent Media, New York2004
- Pregnancy and contraception use among urban Rwandan women after HIV testing and counseling.Am J Public Health. 1993; 83: 705-710
- Immediate postplacental IUD insertion: the expulsion problem.Contraception. 1985; 31: 331-349
- Complications of use of intrauterine devices among HIV-1-infected women.Lancet. 1998; 351: 1238-1241
- Contraceptive switching in Bangladesh.Stud Fam Plann. 1999; 30: 315-328
- Through the patient’s eyes: strategies toward more successful contraception.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 88: 41-47
- Prophylactic antibiotics for intrauterine device insertion: a metaanalysis of the randomized controlled trials.Contraception. 1999; 60: 57-63
- Evaluation of contraceptive efficacy and cycle control of a transdermal contraceptive patch vs an oral contraceptive: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2347-2354
- Randomized assignment to copper IUD or depot-medroxyprogesterone acetate: a feasibility of enrollment, continuation, and disease ascertainment.Contraception. 2005; 72: 187-191
- Prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV: successes, controversies and critical questions.AIDS Rev. 2004; 6: 131-143
- Perinatal transmission in developing countries: new developments, new challenges.AIDS Link. 1995; 32: 12-13
- The value of contraception to prevent perinatal HIV transmission.Sex Transm Dis. 2006; 33: 350-356
- Contraception’s proved potential to fight HIV.Sex Transm Infect. 2005; 81: 180-188
Supported by a grant from the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (PG-51161) with complementary resources from the US Agency for International Development (HRN-A-00-98-00020-00; CSA-04-395). Investigators receive salary or stipend support from the US National Institutes of Health (D43-TW01035, K23-AI01411, K01-TW05708, K01-TW06670, D43-TW010035).
Cite this article as: Stringer EM, Kaseba C, Levy J, et al. A randomized trial of the intrauterine contraceptive device vs hormonal contraception in women who are infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007;197:144.e1-144.e8.