Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Which randomized controlled trials are relevant to clinical practice?.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 216-218
- ICH harmonized tripartite guideline: statistical principles for clinical trials.Stat Med. 1999; 18: 1905-1942
- Do we measure the right end points?.J Pediatr. 2001; 138: 76-80
- Composite outcomes in randomized trials: greater precision but with greater uncertainty?.JAMA. 2003; 289: 2554-2559
- Validity of composite end points in clinical trials.BMJ. 2005; 330: 594-596
- The evaluation of the results of clinical trials: surrogate end points and composite end points.Minerva Med. 2004; 95: 71-75
- Statistical significance and clinical relevance: the importance of power in clinical trials in dermatology.Arch Dermatol. 2004; 140: 1520-1523
- Minimum clinically important difference: the crock of gold at the end of the rainbow?.J Rheumatol. 2001; 28: 439-444
- Planned caesarean section versus planned vaginal birth for breech presentation at term: a randomised multicentre trial.Lancet. 2000; 356: 1375-1383
- Single vs weekly courses of antenatal corticosteroids for women at risk of preterm delivery: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2001; 286: 1581-1587
- Effect of magnesium sulfate given for neuroprotection before preterm birth: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2003; 290: 2669-2676
- Induction of labour as compared with serial antenatal monitoring in postterm pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial.N Engl J Med. 1992; 326: 1587-1592
- The effect of the Term Breech Trial on medical intervention behaviour and neonatal outcome in The Netherlands: an analysis of 35,453 term breech infants.BJOG. 2005; 112: 205-209
- Inappropriate use of randomized trials to evaluate complex phenomena: case study of vaginal breech delivery.BMJ. 2004; 329: 1039-1042
- Five years to the term breech trial: the rise and fall of a randomized controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 20-25
- Outcomes of children at 2 years after planned cesarean birth versus planned vaginal birth for breech presentation at term: the International Randomized Term Breech Trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 193: 864-871
- Post-natal steroids: short-term gain, long-term pain?.J Pediatr. 2000; 137: 9-13
- Antenatal corticosteroids: is more better?.Lancet. 2000; 355: 251-252
ClinicalTrial.gov. Available at: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00014989?order=1 Accessed August 4, 2006
NICHHD Maternal Fetal Medicine Units Network. Available at: http://www.bsc.gwu.edu/mfmu/Projects/beam.cgi Accessed August 4, 2006
- Magnesium sulfate for preterm neuroprotection.JAMA. 2004; 291: 940
- Magnesium sulfate for preterm neuroprotection.JAMA. 2004; 291: 941
- Health measurement scales: a practical guide to their development and use. 3rd ed. Oxford University Press, New York2006
- Cerebral palsy in very low birth weight infants surviving to 2 years with modern perinatal care.Am J Periantol. 1987; 4: 29-35
Reprints not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Ross S. Composite outcomes in randomized clinical trials: arguments for and against. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2007;196:119.e1-119.e6.