Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Estimating the cost of new drug development: Is it really 802 million dollars?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2006; 25: 420-428
- New uses for old drugs.Nature. 2007; 448: 645-646
- Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulin.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 254-258
- Metformin and reduced risk of cancer in diabetic patients.Br Med J. 2005; 530: 1304-1305
- New users of metformin are at low risk of incident cancer: a cohort study among people with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: 1620-1625
- Metformin associated with lower cancer mortality in type 2 diabetes: ZODIAC -16.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 322-326
- Metformin prevents tobacco carcinogen- induced lung tumorigenesis.Cancer Prev Res. 2010; 3: 1066-1076
- Systemic treatment with the anti-diabetic drug metformin selectively impairs p53-deficient tumor cell growth.Cancer Res. 2007; 67: 6745-6752
- Metformin-induced preferential killing of breast cancer initiating CD44+CD24-/low cells is sufficient to overcome primary resistance to trastuzumab in HER2+ human breast cancer xenografts.Oncotarget. 2012; 3: 395-398
- The antidiabetic drug metformin exerts an antitumoral effect in vitro and in vivo through a decrease of cyclin D1 level.Oncogene. 2008; 27: 3576-3586
- Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in mechanism of metformin action.J Clin Invest. 2001; 108: 1167-1174
- Evaluation of metformin in early breast cancer: a modification of the traditional paradigm for clinical testing of anti-cancer agents.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011; 126: 215-220
- Metformin efficacy and safety for colorectal polyps: a double-blind randomized controlled trial.BMC Cancer. 2012; 12: 1-7
- Relationship of type II diabetes and metformin use to ovarian cancer progression, survival, and chemosensitivity.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 61-67
- Metformin intake is associated with better survival in ovarian cancer: a case-control study.Cancer. 2013; 119: 555-562
- The impact of diabetes on survival in women with ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2011; 121: 106-111
- Effects of oral contraceptives or a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist on ovarian carcinogenesis in genetically engineered mice.Cancer Prev Res. 2009; 2: 792-799
- Targeting the urokinase plasminogen activator receptor inhibits ovarian cancer metastasis.Clin Cancer Res. 2011; 17: 459-471
- c-Met overexpression is a prognostic factor in ovarian cancer and an effective target for inhibition of peritoneal dissemination and invasion.Cancer Res. 2007; 67: 1670-1680
- Loss of E-cadherin promotes ovarian cancer metastasis via alpha 5-integrin, which is a therapeutic target.Cancer Res. 2008; 68: 2329-2339
- Let-7 expression defines two differentiation stages of cancer.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007; 104: 11400-11405
- The effects of 17ß-estradiol and a selective estrogen receptor modulator, bazedoxifene, on ovarian carcinogenesis.Gynecol Oncol. 2012; 124: 134-141
- An orally available small molecule inhibitor of c-Met, PF-2341066, reduces tumor burden in a pre-clinical model of ovarian cancer metastasis.Neoplasia. 2010; 12: 1-10
- Role of K-ras and PTEN in the development of mouse models of endometriosis and endometrioid ovarian cancer.Nat Med. 2005; 11: 63-70
- Improving bioscience research reporting: the ARRIVE guidelines for reporting animal research.PLoS Biol. 2010; 8: 1-5
- Metformin prevents tobacco carcinogen-induced lung tumorigenesis.Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2010; 3: 1066-1076
- The pharmacogenetics of metformin and its impact on plasma metformin steady-state levels and glycosylated hemoglobin A1c.Pharmacogenet Genomics. 2011; 21: 837-850
- AMP-activated/SNF1 protein kinases: conserved guardians of cellular energy.Nature Rev. 2007; 8: 774-785
- Increased lipogenesis in cancer cells: new players, novel targets.Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006; 9: 358-365
- Adipocytes promote ovarian cancer metastasis and provide energy for rapid tumor growth.Nat Med. 2011; 17: 1498-1503
- Issues in experimental design and endpoint analysis in the study of experimental cytotoxic agents in vivo in breast cancer and other models.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1997; 46: 255-278
- Metformin suppresses ovarian cancer growth and metastasis with enhancement of cisplatin cytotoxicity in vivo.Neoplasia. 2011; 13: 483-491
- Metformin attenuates ovarian cancer cell growth in an AMP-kinase dispensable manner.J Cell Mol Med. 2011; 15: 166-178
- In vitro metformin anti-neoplastic activity in epithelial ovarian cancer.Gynecol Oncol. 2008; 110: 246-250
- Metformin reduces lipid accumulation in macrophages by inhibiting FOXO1-mediated transcription of fatty acid-binding protein 4.Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2010; 393: 89-94
- Adipocyte tissue and adipocytes support tumorigenesis and metastasis.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2013; 1831: 1533-1541
- Autocrine activation of PDGFRalpha promotes the progression of ovarian cancer.Oncogene. 2006; 25: 2060-2069
- Prognostic role of the recepteur d'origine nantais (RON) expression in ovarian cancer patients.Gynecol Oncol. 2008; 111: 237-243
- Clinical implications of the ErbB/epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor family and its ligands in ovarian cancer.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008; 1785: 232-265
- Clinical investigation of receptor and non-receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors for the treatment of epithelial ovarian cancer.Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2013; 14: 2171-2182
- Metformin and cancer: doses, mechanisms and the dandelion and hormetic phenomena.Cell Cycle. 2010; 9: 1057-1064
- Phase III trial of carboplatin and paclitaxel compared with cisplatin and paclitaxel in patients with optimally resected stage III ovarian cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group study.J Clin Oncol. 2003; 21: 3194-3200
- Metformin, at concentrations corresponding to the treatment of diabetes, potentiates the cytotoxic effects of carboplatin in cultures of ovarian cancer cells.Reprod Sci. 2013; 20: 1433-1446
- Metformin and pathologic complete responses to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in diabetic patients with breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2009; 27: 3297-3302
- Metformin inhibits the growth of human pancreatic cancer xenografts.Pancreas. 2013; 42: 781-785
- Metformin inhibits the inflammatory response associated with cellular transformation and cancer stem cell growth.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 972-977
- Metformin inhibits cell proliferation, migration and invasion by attenuating CSC function mediated by deregulating miRNAs in pancreatic cancer cells.Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2012; 5: 355-364
National Institutes of health. Clinical Trials home page. Available at: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ . Accessed Sept. 1, 2014.
Dr Mitra is currently with Indiana University School of Medicine, Bloomington, IN; Dr Bradaric is currently with the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chicago State University, Chicago, IL; Dr Lee is currently with Seo-gu Public Health Center, Republic of Korea.
Supported by grants from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development ( 2K12HD000849-26 ), the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology , the Gynecologic Cancer Foundation- St. Louis Ovarian Cancer Awareness Research , and the Prevent Cancer Foundation (I.L.R.), and National Cancer Institute grant numbers 5R01CA111882-07 and 1R01CA169604-01A1 (E.L.).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Lengyel E, Litchfield LM, Mitra AK, et al. Metformin inhibits ovarian cancer growth and increases sensitivity to paclitaxel in mouse models. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;212:479.e1-10.