Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Urinary incontinence and depression.J Urol. 1999; 162: 82-84
- Psychological aspects of female urinary incontinence in general practice.Br J Urol. 1992; 70: 499-502
- Urinary incontinence and depression in middle-aged United States women.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101: 149-156
- An investigation of the relationship between anxiety and depression and urge incontinence in women: development of a psychological model.Br J Health Psychol. 2006; 11: 463-482
- Corticotropin releasing factor: a mediator of emotional influences on bladder function.J Urol. 2004; 172: 2570-2573
- Major depression and urinary incontinence in women: temporal associations in an epidemiologic sample.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 201: 490.e1-490.e7
- Longitudinal assessment of mental health problems among active and reserve component soldiers returning from the Iraq war.JAMA. 2007; 298: 2141-2148
- Anxiety disorders and disability secondary to urinary incontinence among adults over age 50.Int J Psychiatry Med. 2002; 32: 141-154
- Lifetime sexual assault and cervical cytologic abnormalities among military women.J Women's Health. 2011; 20: 1693-1701
- Diagnostic classification of female urinary incontinence: an epidemiological survey corrected for validity.J Clin Epidemiol. 1995; 48: 339-343
- A community-based epidemiological survey of female urinary incontinence: the Norwegian EPINCONT study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2000; 53: 1150-1157
- Prevalence and risk factors for urinary incontinence in women with type 2 diabetes and impaired fasting glucose: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001-2002.Diabetes Care. 2006; 29: 1307-1312
- The World Health Organization Composite International Diagnostic Interview short-form (CIDI-SF).Int J Methods Psychiatric Res. 1998; 7: 171-185
- Reliability and validity of a brief instrument for assessing post-traumatic stress disorder.J Trauma Stress. 1993; 6: 459-473
- Acute stress disorder and posttraumatic stress disorder in victims of violent crime.Am J Psychiatry. 1999; 156: 360-366
- Major depression prevalence in Calgary.Can J Psychiatry. 2000; 45: 923
- Prevalence of civilian trauma and posttraumatic stress disorder in a representative national sample of women.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1993; 61: 984-991
- Rape In Iowa: a report to the state.National Violence Against Women Prevention Research Center, 2004
- Educational bulletin: sexual assault.ACOG Educ Bull. 1997; 242: 756-762
- A 12-Item Short-Form Health Survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity.Med Care. 1996; 34: 220-233
- Accessed Oct. 24, 2011)
- How widespread are the symptoms of an overactive bladder and how are they managed?.BJU Int. 2001; 87: 760-766
- Urinary incontinence and psychological distress in community-dwelling older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 489-495
- Association between urogenital symptoms and depression in community-dwelling women aged 20 to 70 years.Urology. 2007; 69: 691-696
- Urinary incontinence, condition-specific functional loss, and psychological distress.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2002; 50: 1311
- Bringing the war back home: mental health disorders among 103,788 US veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan seen at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities.Arch Intern Med. 2007; 167: 476-482
- Duty-related and sexual stress in the etiology of PTSD among women veterans who seek treatment.Psychiatr Serv. 1998; 49: 658-662
- Prevalence of depressive and alcohol abuse symptoms among women VA outpatients who report experiencing sexual assault while in the military.J Trauma Stress. 1999; 12: 601-612
- Health-related consequences of physical and sexual violence: women in the military.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 96: 473-480
- Bladder dysfunction in sexual abuse survivors.J Urology. 2003; 170: 476-479
- Physical and sexual abuse in patients with overactive bladder: is there an association?.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007; 18: 449-453
- Is abuse causally related to urologic symptoms?.Eur Urol. 2007; 52: 397-406
- The influence of psychiatric comorbidities and sexual trauma on lower urinary tract symptoms in female veterans.J Urol. 2009; 182: 2785
- Duloxetine, a serotonin and noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence: a systematic review.Eur Urol. 2007; 51: 67
- Duloxetine compared with placebo for treating women with symptoms of overactive bladder.BJU Int. 2007; 100: 337-345
- Serotonin and noradrenaline involvement in urinary incontinence, depression and pain: scientific basis for overlapping clinical efficacy from a single drug, duloxetine.Int J Clin Pract. 2007; 61: 1349-1355
- The role of corticotropin-releasing factor in depression and anxiety disorders.J Endocrinol. 1999; 160: 1-12
- The role of corticotropin releasing factor and its antagonist, astressin, on micturition in the rat.Auton Neurosci. 2005; 123: 26-35
- Neurobiological and neurocognitive alterations in PTSD.in: Vasterling J. Brewin C. Neuropsychology of PTSD: biological, cognitive and clinical perspectives. The Guilford Press, New York2005: 27-58
- Trauma and health: physical health consequences of exposure to extreme stress.American Psychological Association, Washington, DC2004
This material is based on work funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Office of Research and Development, Health Services Research and Development Service ( NRI 04-194 ) (A.G.S.) with additional support provided by the National Institutes of Child Health and Human Development ( K23 HD047654 ) (C.S.B.).
The views expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the position or policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs or the United States government.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Reprints are not available from the authors.
Cite this article as: Bradley CS, Nygaard IE, Mengeling MA, et al. Urinary incontinence, depression, and posttraumatic stress disorder in women veterans. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2012;206:502.e1-8.